Vegetable Biryani is one amongst the foremost known ancient recipes created with some simply out there ingredients. This irresistible delicacy makes for an ideal wholesome meal, created with rice, spices and veggies, biryani is usually prepared for special day and festivals. It tastes best once served with raita, salad and Sweets.
Servings: 4 People
- 1 cup basmati rice (बासमती चावल)
- 1 cup mixed vegetables, diced (peas, carrots, beans, capsicum, cauliflower etc.)
- 2 pieces onion (प्याज) Large and Grated
- 2 tablespoon crushed ginger (कुचला हुआ अदरक)
- 2 tablespoon crushed garlic (कुचला हुआ लहसून)
- 2 piece large potato (आलू) sliced into long strips
- 3 pieces cabbage leaves (बंद-गोभी के पत्ते) cut into large pieces
- oil (तेल) for Deep Fry
- 2 tablespoon clarified butter (घी)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 2 cups water (पानी)
- 4 tablespoon biryani masala (बिरयानी मसाला)
- 1 piece bay leaf (तेज पत्ता)
- 2 tablespoon green cardamom (छोटी इलायची)
- 2 tablespoon black cardamom (बडी इलायची)
- 2 pieces cloves (लौंग)
- 1 piece cinnamon stick (दालचीनी)
- 2 pieces mace (जावित्री)
- 4 pieces peppercorns (काली मिर्च के दाने) - coarsely crushed (मोटे कुचल)
- 1/2 cup curd (दही)
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds (जीरा)
- saffron (केसर) a few threads
- 2 tablespoon milk (दूध)
How to make Vegetable Biryani
- Wash the rice properly and soak for 30 minutes.
- Cook it with water until just cooked.
- Drain it in a strainer or colander and keep aside.
- Dissolve saffron in milk and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a pan. Add Bay leave and cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add the onions and let it sauté till it gets golden brown. Add the ginger-garlic paste and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Now add all the vegetables except potato and add salt and turmeric powder and cook for few minutes or till the vegetables get tender.
- Deep fry the potato fingers till golden brown.
- Add to the vegetables and mix. Add the Biryani Masala or dry grind green cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, 1 mace after dry roasting it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the remaining mace, peppercorns and stir fry for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Add the beaten curd and mix properly.
- Put off the flame.
- In a thick bottomed pan arrange the layering in the following manner.
- Start with a rice layer. Spoon a tablespoon of cooked rice and spread it evenly in a thick bottomed pan.
- Now spread the vegetables. Cover it with a layer of rice. Sprinkle one spoon of saffron added with milk evenly on the rice.
- Now again repeat the layering. End with a rice layer.
- Now heat 1 tbsp of ghee and pour it over the rice.
- Cover tightly and cook on a tava or a pan for 30-35 minutes on low flame or cook it in a preheated oven at 160 degree Celsius for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve hot with Raita.