Veg toast sandwich is a very popular street food in Mumbai, India. It is different from the regular Vegetable sandwich that we prepare with mayonnaise sauce at our home.
Since we prepare it with vegetables and Indian spices. Thus, this sandwich is very nutritious as well as spicy and tangy.
Quick and easy to prepare as well as very delicious. Whenever I visit Mumbai, I can’t resist having these sandwiches. As I am a big fan of it, thus I also prepare it at my home.
I prefer serving this sandwich at breakfast. Sometimes even at parties. It is also a perfect kid’s tiffin recipe. My husband loves to have it with Masala tea. It is so popular in my home, that I also serve it as evening snacks.
I prefer using white bread to prepare this recipe. Though, I also prepare it with brown bread for my mother in law. Traditionally it is prepared by toasting the bread. But sometimes I do prepare it, by grilling the bread. Both ways it tastes delish. You can prepare it both the way. The choice of toasting or grilling is totally on your personal preference.
In Maharashtra or in most parts of India people love piquant recipes. To add a spicy and tangy flavor to this Bombay sandwiches we prepare green chutney. I prefer making it fresh, but I also store this green chutney in the refrigerator. I do this when I have to pack this sandwich recipe for my kid’s tiffin in the early morning.
Which Vegetables to use in this recipe
For veggie stuffing, you can use any vegetable that goes in a salad. Though thinly sliced tomato, onion, and cucumber go every time. If you want you can also add sliced boiled potato in it. I avoid it as my son does not prefer boiled potato in it. You can also replace the boiled potato with cheese slice. And we all know, how much our kids love cheese.
Other vegetables like Carrot, Lettuce leaves, and Beetroot, etc. can also be added. I prefer adding the seasonal salad vegetables in this recipe. This is also an excellent way to serve vegetables to your kids. Try serving vegetables this way, they will not be able to ignore it.
The best part is that you can eat these healthy, spicy, and tangy sandwiches warm or hot. You can assemble all the sandwiches at a time. Finally toast or grill them, just before serving.
Before we start cooking our healthy Vegetable toast sandwich. Here are a few tips to prepare this sandwich at home.
Tips for making Veg Toast Sandwich recipe
Firstly ensure that you have prepared a thick consistency green chutney. Since thin consistency of Green Chutney will turn your sandwiches moist and soggy.
Before applying Green Chutney over the bread always apply butter on the bread. Applying butter prevents the bread from soaking the chutney it. Thus, it does not turn soggy.
Sprinkle salt only after placing the vegetables in the sandwich. If add salt at an early stage then the vegetables start leaving the water. Which again turns your sandwich moist.
Finally after assembling your sandwiches, immediately wrap them in a plastic wrap and transfer them to the refrigerator. Plastic wrap prevents the bread from drying. While Storing them in the refrigerator prevents the extraction of water from vegetables.
The leftover veggies can be used in any dish or you can serve them like vegetable salad. For it, just sprinkle some chaat masala or black salt on them and serve them directly.
Veg Toast Sandwich
For Veg Toast Sandwiches
- 6 pieces of white sandwich bread (सफेद सैंडविच ब्रेड)
- 1 medium-size thinly sliced tomato (पतले कटे हुए टमाटर)
- 1 medium-size thinly sliced onion (पतले कटे हुए प्याज)
- 1 small thinly sliced cucumber (पतले कटा हुआ खीरा)
- salted butter (नमकीन मक्खन) as required
- salt (नमक) to sprinkle over the veggies
- chaat masala powder (चाट मसाला पाउडर) to sprinkle over the veggies
To prepare Green Chutney
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves (ताजा धनिया पत्ती)
- ¼ cup Peanut (मूंगफली के दाने)
- 2-3 pieces of green chilies (हरी मिर्च) or as per your taste
- 3-4 pieces of garlic cloves (लहसुन का लौंग)
- 1 inch piece of ginger (अदरक)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (नींबू का रस)
- 1 tablespoon water (पानी) for grinding
Instructions for making easy Green chutney at home
- Before you start preparing green chutney, remove coriander leaves from the stem (tender stems will be fine but if stems are stringy, then discard those stems) and wash leaves very well in running water.
- Also, wash the green chilies and discard the stem of the green chili.
- Then transfer both of them in a grinder jar. Add garlic cloves, ginger slice and peanut in this jar.
- Also add, lemon juice and salt to taste and grind it, to prepare a thick consistency chutney. If required, you can add a little water too.
- Collect the chutney in a bowl. Check for the taste and add and mix salt if required. Put the chutney aside for further use.
For Making Veg Toast Sandwich
- To prepare Veg toast sandwich, place 2 bread slices on a clean and dry surface. Apply butter on both the bread slices.
- After that apply green chutney over these bread slices, and spread the chutney evenly.
- Now on the first bread slice arrange all the veggies (cucumber, tomato, onion in thin round slices) one by one.
- Then evenly sprinkle the chaat masala powder and salt on the veggies.
- Cover this bread slice with veggies with the other bread slice.
- After assembling the veg toast sandwich, with the help of a knife cut it diagonally. This will provide you the traditional triangular shape sandwich. You can wrap them with a plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator.
- Or, if you want to serve this sandwich immediately, then you can roast or grill it in the toaster/griller instantly.
- Serve this warm Veg toast sandwich to your family or friends with tomato ketchup.