Thandai recipe or Sardai is a cool and refreshing drink created with dry nuts and seasoned with aromatic spices. People in north India accustomed to prepare this thandai drink in each Holi festival that acts as a coolant to the body throughout summer heat.
- 2tbspAniseed ( सौंफ)
- 1/2tea spoonCardamom Seeds
- 4PcsCloves ( लौंग )
- 1/2CupAlmond blanched and chopped ( छिला तथा काटा हुआ बादाम )
- 1/4CupPistachio ( पिस्ता )
- 1/4CupMelon seeds ( तरबूज के बीज )
- 1/4CupPoppy Seeds ( पोस्ता )
- 1/4CupPeppercorns (काली मिर्च के दाने) -
- 2 1/2CupWater ( पानी )
- 1literFull fat Milk ( पूर्ण वसा वाला दूध )
- 5tbspSugar ( चीनी )
- 1/4tea spoonSaffron ( केसर )
- Rose Petals ( गुलाब की पंखुड़ियां )Few dried
- In a small saucepan bring the water to boil .
- Add the fennel seeds, cardamom and cloves, cover, and remove from the heat.
- Set aside for ten minutes.
- Place the raisins, almonds, pistachios and melon seeds, poppy seeds in a bowl and add fennel tea.
- Cover and set aside for at least 1 hour.
- Transfer it to a blender, cover, and blend until the nuts & spices are reduced to a smooth texture.
- Pour into a strainer and set over a bowl.
- When some of liquid had drained through the sieve, gather the corners and squeeze tightly to extract the maximum liquid.
- Heat 2 tblsp of milk and add saffron.
- Combine the nut milk, saffron and remaining milk in a large jug and chill well.
- Adjust the sesoning and serve in a long glass over crushed ice and garnish with dried rose petals.