As soon as images of tandoori chicken float in our mind. A full chicken hanging in the Barbeque Skewers comes in our mind. This bright red color chicken with the dark brown impressions is mouth-watering. When served with onion rings, lemon pieces, and green chutney, we just can’t wait to feel the delight of this grilled chicken recipe.
This recipe gets its name from clay oven – Tandoor. In Punjab, you will find this Tandoor everywhere. Tandoor is an oven, as well as a griller, and is used to cook various recipes. We prepare Tandoori Roti, Chicken Tikka and many Kabab Recipes in it. Tandoor is huge in size and requires regular maintenance. Thus keeping tandoor at the home is tedious.
So the question is, how to make tandoori chicken at home without Tandoor. Should we cook it in an oven or in a griller? You can cook this in an oven or in a griller. But if you do not have either of them, then today I am sharing with you an easy recipe. With my recipe, you will get the exact same flavor and smoky aroma, like that of the restaurants. That also, without using an oven, griller or Tandoor!
The 3 important ingredients that we require are tandoori masala powder, a small piece of charcoal, and chicken. Of course, a few more that you will find in my recipe. And we will cook it on the gas stove!
Tips for preparing Chicken Tandoori
To prepare this recipe you need small size chicken. Whole chicken of around 1 Kilogram of weight is best for this recipe. The meat of bigger chicken turns fibrous. Thus takes time to cook as well as do not turn delish.
This recipe requires skinless chicken with bones. But it is better to discard the neck portion of chicken before preparing this recipe.
Before preparing the recipe cut the whole chicken into four pieces. Some people prefer preparing tandoori chicken with the leg pieces. But the breast portion also tastes equally good. If you want you also can use the leg pieces only.
Before preparing this recipe wash and clean the chicken well. Then pat to dry it well with the help of a kitchen towel. After that make deep vertical incisions after every 1 inch in every chicken piece. The incisions should deep till bones. These deep incisions make flavorful Tandoori Chicken. This also helps in even cooking from inside.
The magic of tandoori chicken lies in its marination process. With this marination, you can get its deep flavor. Thus we marinate our chicken 2 times. During the second marination step, we add oil at the end. You should also do that otherwise your marination process will slow down.
Here comes the delicious home make a Tandoori Chicken recipe that you waiting for.
Tandoori Chicken Recipe
- 1 kilogram whole chicken (पूरा मुर्ग) cut into 4 piece
for the first marinade
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- ½ tablespoon salt (नमक)
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice (नींबू का रस)
- 2 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste (अदरक-लहसुन का पेस्ट)
for Second Marination
- 4 tablespoon hung thick curd (लटका गाढ़ा दही)
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice (नींबू का रस)
- 2 tablespoon refined oil (रिफाइंड तेल)
and Tandoori Chicken Masala Powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (जीरा पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon dry fenugreek leaves (कसूरी मेथी)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (धनिया पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder (कश्मीरी लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder (काली मिर्च पाउडर)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon salt (नमक)
- 1/2 teaspoon edible yellow food color (पीला खाद्य रंग) or ¼ teaspoon ratan jot (रतन जोत)
for preparing tandoori chicken on pan
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter (घी)
- 2 tablespoon butter (मक्खन)
for smoky flavor
- vegetable oil (वनस्पति तेल) a few drops of
- 1 small piece of charcoal (लकड़ी का कोयला)
- 4 piece lemon wedge (नींबू का टुकड़ा) for garnishing
- 1 piece onion (प्याज) for garnishing
- Make 3-4 deep incisions in each chicken quarter using a knife.
Steps for the first marination
- Combine 2 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon red chili powder, half tablespoon salt, and 2 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste in a large bowl. Mix it well.
- Put the chicken pieces in the marinade and rub the marinade over the chicken pieces from all sides
- Rub it well into the incisions too.
- Cover it and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
Steps for the second marination
- After 20 minutes, combine all the spices listed in the tandoori chicken Masala powder with 4 tablespoons of hung thick curd and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Wisk and mix them very well.
- Spread this mixture over the previously marinated chicken pieces.
- Rib this mixture again over the chicken pieces and also rub it well into the incisions too.
- Once the coating of this marinade over the chicken pieces is done. Cover it again and let it rest for another 2 hours.
- Once the marination is done, Add 2 tablespoons of refined oil and mix well. We add oil at the end since if we add oil during marination it slows the marinating process.
- Now we are ready to prepare our tandoori chicken.
How to Make Tandoori Chicken at Home
- Place a frying pan over a low flame over the gas stove. Then pour 1 tablespoon of clarified butter and 2 tablespoons of salted butter in it.
- Place the marinated chicken pieces in the pan and cook it for 7-8 minutes covering the pan.
- When one side is done flip the chicken pieces and again cook for 7-8 minutes covering the pan.
- Once done you will find dark brown patches over the chicken and the chicken will become tender. Most of the marinade has evaporated and chicken pieces are brown and crispy from outside.
How to add smoky flavor
- Transfer these chicken pieces in a deep bowl as we will give it smoky flavor now.
- To give it a nice aroma and smoky flavor heat a piece of charcoal over gas on high flame.
- When the charcoal turns red then place a small bowl between the chicken pieces in the large bowl.
- Place the hot red charcoal over the small bowl that you have placed between the chicken pieces. Pour few drops of oil over this hot charcoal. You will immediately find smoke coming out. Instantly cover the large bowl with a lid.
- Keep it covered for 10 minutes. The chicken will absorb the smoky aroma. After 10 minutes remove the cover and also remove the small bowl with charcoal from the chicken pieces.
- Your homemade tandoori chicken is ready to serve.
- Garnish it with lemon wedges and onion rings.
- Serve immediately with green chutney.