Spring Roll recipe is a Chinese dish. People love to eat it as snacks. In many parties, it is served as a starter. The top layer of Spring Rolls is very crispy, whereas the inside is filled with soft and juicy stuffing. Traditionally it is a vegan dish, which resembles egg roll. But it is crispier than egg roll and is light for your tummy too. Children love it very much. It is a very good children’s tiffin recipe. It is a very easy and quick recipe to make.
Initially, this recipe is a wrap of noodles at its core. These noodles look like spring, similar to our popular Maggi noodles. Thus some people assume that the name Spring Roll is because of this. But actually this recipe was firstly served in the Spring festival of China. Thus it gets the name, Spring Roll.
Now, this recipe is so popular that people experimented with it with many fillings. Typically spring roll is a vegetarian dish but you can make it more delicious with the help of minced chicken, Sausage, Egg Bhurji, minced mutton, Paneer Bhurji, Noodles, even a shrimp filling too. Here I am going to tell you how to prepare a vegetarian spring rolls recipe.
How to make a perfect Crispy Spring Rolls at Home?
I always prefer searching over the internet for the recipe that I am going to share with you. This helps me understand, what information about the recipe is available over the net. Thus, I can help you out with a perfect technique to prepare the recipe easily at home.
While checking out about spring rolls recipe, I found that most of the spring roll recipes available over the net recommend using readymade spring roll wrappers. This made me think – when preparing spring roll sheets are so easy why these recommendations are coming up. On further investigation, I found that the spring roll wrappers recipes shared over net do not give the desired output.
Thus after all my investigation, I decided to share with you a complete Spring Roll recipe. Here I will first tell you how to make perfect spring roll sheets at home. These fresh homemade Spring Roll sheets will produce crispy spring rolls. This tastes much better than those prepared from readymade spring roll wrappers. Spring rolls prepared from ready-made spring roll sheets are more chewy than crispy.
Thus here is the recipe to make thin and crispy homemade spring rolls wrap. The right technique for crispy spring rolls is hidden in preparing perfect spring roll sheets. After preparing these thin and crispy spring roll sheets we will prepare our Crispy Vegetable Spring Rolls. So let’s start preparing this recipe.
Spring Roll Recipe
for Spring Roll Sheets
- 1 cup refined flour (मैदा)
- 1/4 cup cornflour (मक्के का आटा)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (नमक)
- 3 tablespoon refined oil (रिफाइंड तेल)
- water (पानी) enough to prepare the dough
for Spring Roll Stuffing
- 2 cup cabbage (बंद-गोभी) finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot (गाजर) finely chopped
- 1 Piece onion (प्याज) - big size
- 13-14 Pieces garlic cloves (लहसुन का लौंग)
- 1/2 Piece capsicum (शिमला मिर्च)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (नमक)
- 1 tablespoon light soya sauce (सोया सॉस)
- 1 tablespoon Schezwan Sauce (शेजवान सॉस)
- 2 tablespoon tomato sauce (टमाटर का सालन)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil (वनस्पति तेल)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper powder (काली मिर्च पाउडर)
Sealing Paste for Spring Roll
- 4 tablespoon refined flour (मैदा)
- water (पानी) as required
Method of preparing Dough
- Firstly mix the refined flour, cornflour, salt and refined oil in a bowl. Then add water in parts and knead it into a soft dough just like Roti dough.
- Cover this dough with a damp muslin cloth. That protects the dough from drying. It also protects crust formation, on the surface of the dough. Thus, cover the dough and leave it for half an hour to set.
How to make healthy vegetable spring rolls stuffing
- To make healthy vegetable spring rolls firstly put all the vegetables in a bowl. Then wash and clean them thoroughly in water.
- Then finely chop the cabbage. Cut the carrots into 1 inch long and thin slices. Similarly cut the onion into thin slices. And also cut garlic and capsicum into thin slices.
- Now heat oil in a pan on medium heat. When the oil gets warm, add chopped garlic and fry until golden.
- When the garlic turns golden, add chopped onion. Roast it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then add chopped carrots and fry it for 2 to 3 minutes. After this add finely chopped cabbage and chopped capsicum and fry them for 2 to 3 minutes.
- To it add salt according to your taste and mix it well. Roast the mixture for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Now, add Soya Sauce, followed by Schezwan Sauce, tomato sauce and black paper. Run it for 2 to 3 minutes and mix them well.
- After mixing and frying the mixture switch off the flame. Transfer this prepared stuffing on a plate and let it rest, to cool down.
Method of making the sealing paste for Spring Roll
- After filling the spring roll with stuffing, we have to seal the open edges of the spring roll sheets. For this, we need to prepare a sealing paste or glue to seal the open edges of the spring roll sheets.
- To prepare this glue - take 4 teaspoons of refined flour in a small bowl. Add some water to it and shake it well with a spoon to make a very thick solution.
- This refined flour solution should be so thick, that if we start dropping the slurry from the spoon. Then it should take some time to flow out of the spoon.
Making Spring Roll Wrapper
- To prepare spring roll wrapper, divide the previously prepared dough into 6 equal portions and keep them covered with a moist muslin cloth.
- Now, shape each portion of the dough into a ball, by rolling it between your palms. Then again keep these dough balls covered with a moist muslin cloth.
Rolling the Spring Roll Sheets
- To prepare spring roll sheets, take a dough ball and wrap it lightly with dry refined flour. Then put it on a clean rolling surface and roll it with a rolling pin into a thin circle shape, of around 3 to 3.5 inches diameter and 2 to 2.5-millimeter thickness. Apply light pressure to roll it, similarly as you do to roll a Poori.
- Remove it from the rolling surface and transfer it over a plate.
- Take another dough ball and again roll it into thin Poori of the same shape and size.
- Now, on this sheet that you have just prepared, put 2 to 3 drops of refined oil. Spread the refined oil evenly on the whole surface of this thin Poori.
- Dust the lubricated surface of this Poori with 2 pinches of dry refined flour (Maida). Then take the help of the back portion of a spoon, and spread the dusted refined flour over the lubricated surface of the Poori.
- Now remove the first Poori from the plate (which we have prepared earlier) and place it on that surface of the current Poori, which is soaked with oil and refined flour.
- Press very gently with your hand from the top to stick both the Poori together. Then roll this sandwiched sheet into a 6-inch diameter circle.
- Keep this increased and sandwiched sheet covered, again under a moist muslin cloth. Repeat the above steps with the remaining dough balls, to prepare more sandwiched sheets similarly.
Cooking Spring Roll Sheets
- After preparing all the sandwiched sheets. Heat a nonstick fry pan on medium flame.
- Toast one sandwich sheet over the frying pan. When steam starts rising from it, flip the sandwiched sheet and toast it from the other side too.
- After toasting the sandwiched sheet from both the sides, remove the toasted sandwiched sheet from the frying pan.
- You will notice that both the sheets in the sandwich are starting to separate from the edges. Separate them from each other. To do this, hold both of them from open edges and pull them apart.
- Your first 2 thin spring roll sheets are ready. Repeat the above steps with the remaining sandwiched sheets.
- Note: If your Spring Roll Sheets tear up while separating. Do not get depressed. Here are a few things you need to keep in mind. 1. You need to evenly spread oil and flour before sandwiching both the sheets. 2. Use gentle pressure to roll the sheet after sandwiching both the sheets. 3. Finally, it needs some practice. So try, you will certainly start preparing perfect spring roll sheets at home with a little practice.
- With these above steps, you will get a very thin Spring Roll Sheets, perfect for preparing crispy spring rolls.
How to Make Spring Rolls
- Lay the spring roll sheet on a plate. Leaving around 2 inches from the edge put 1 tablespoon of vegetable stuffing over it and spread it evenly in length leaving space of around 1 inch at the top and 1 inch at the bottom of the Spring Roll sheet.
- Now, firstly fold the left 2 inches of spring Roll sheet over the stuffing. Then fold the top and bottom 1-inch edges to seal the stuffing inside.
- Now fold it aging to lengthwise to form a stuffing filled cylinder. On the leftover spring roll sheet which is still open apply a little previously prepared sealing paste and seal it tightly gently pressing it with your hand.
- Your first spring roll is ready to be fried. Repeat with rest spring roll sheets and prepare all the spring rolls similarly.
How to fry Spring Roll
- To deep fry spring rolls, heat enough oil in a deep heavy-bottomed pan over medium flame.
- To check the temperature, drop a pinch of dough into the hot oil. If it comes up briskly and quickly then the oil is sufficiently warm to fry the spring rolls.
- Gently shift spring rolls in the hot oil. Just add as many spring rolls as fit in comfortably and after 2 minutes of adding spring rolls turn the heat to medium-low flame, and deep fry them till the spring rolls turn light golden. While frying turn and rotate the spring rolls in between occasionally so that it gets fried from all the sides evenly.
- Keep the flame to medium-low until the crust becomes crispy and golden. Drain the spring rolls from oil as soon as the crust becomes golden, remove it from oil and shift it over kitchen tissue to remove extra oil.
- Your first lot of spring rolls is ready to serve hot and crispy. Repeat the above steps to fry the rest of spring rolls but do not forget to turn the flame to medium for few seconds before adding the next lot of spring roll in the oil.