Sattu Paratha is a very popular recipe from Bihar. To prepare Sattu Ka Paratha – we fill spicy Sattu stuffing in the whole wheat dough. Then cook it on Tava. Like we cook any other Paratha recipe.
Sattu Paratha is a delicious Paratha recipe that we serve with Baingan Ka Bharta and plain curd. This Sattu Ka Parata is simple to cook and is very nutritious.
Sattu is a flour-like ingredient made from roasted Channa Dal or roasted Red Chickpeas. Another variety of Sattu which we call Jowar Ka Sattu is prepared from barley. For this recipe, we require Channa Sattu.
Advantages of Sattu
Sattu which we call ‘Poor man’s protein’. As the name says it is full of protein. It is also rich in iron, manganese, and magnesium.
Sattu provides instant energy and acts as a cooling agent. Sattu helps to hydrate the body during summers. Thus in northern states of India, like Bihar and Jharkhand Sattu Drink is very popular in summer.
Few more popular recipes prepared for Sattu are Sattu Kachori, Litti, Sattu Laddu, etc. Sattu is also an ingredient of many Kebab Recipes.
Sattu is also very easy to digest. With insoluble fibers, Sattu is very good for our digestive system. This fiber cleanses our colon. It also controls constipation and acidity. The high fiber content of Sattu also controls the cholesterol.
Traditionally, Sattu is in use to treat hair problems. Iron-rich Sattu reduces hair fall.
Consuming Sattu on a daily basis keeps blood sugar levels under control. Thus is good for diabetic people.
How to Prepare Sattu Ka Paratha
Sattu Ka Paratha is a very good breakfast recipe. You can also pack this Sattu Paratha in your kid’s tiffin too. You can prepare the spicy Sattu stuffing at night and store it in the refrigerator. And quickly and easily prepare the Paratha next day early in the morning.
So try this quick and easy Sattu Ka Paratha recipe today.
- 150 grams roasted black gram flour (सत्तू / भुने हुए चने का आटा)
- 1 piece chopped onion (कटा हुआ प्याज) – large and fine chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon carom seeds (अजवाइन)
- 2 pieces chopped green chili (कटा हुआ हरी मिर्च)
- 1 inch crushed ginger (कुचला हुआ अदरक)
- 4 piece garlic cloves (लहसुन का लौंग) – Finely Chopped
- 4-5 drops lemon juice (नींबू का रस)
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil (सरसों का तेल)
- 1/2 tablespoon red chili pickle with oil (लाल मिर्च का अचार तेल के साथ)
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा काटा हुआ धनिया पत्ती)
- 3-4 tablespoon clarified butter (घी)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (गेहूं का आटा)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- water (पानी) – enough to bind the dough
How to Make Sattu Paratha
- To prepare to stuff - filter Grams Roasted Gram Flour and keep in a utensil.
- Now mix Grams Roasted Gram Flour, finely chopped Onion, Carom seeds, Chopped Green Chili, Crushed Ginger, Finely Chopped Garlic Cloves, Mustard oil,4-5 Drops Lemon juice, Red Chilli Pickle with Oil, Chopped fresh Coriander Leaves and salt in a deep bowl and knead it into a soft dough using enough water. Keep it aside for filling.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, oil, carom seeds and salt in a deep bowl and knead it into a soft dough using enough water. Keep it aside for 20 Minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and make a lump from the dough.
- Roll out the lump into a 3 to 3.5-inch diameter; dusting it using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Place a portion of stuffing in the center of the circle.
- Bring together all the sides in the center and seal tightly.
- Roll again into a circle of 6 to 6.5-inch diameter circle and around ¼ centimeter thick; dusting it using a little whole wheat flour for rolling. (Never roll out the paratha’s too thin)
- Heat a non-stick Tava (griddle) and cook the paratha, when there is a slight change in the color of paratha on the surface, flip the side. Turn the paratha and flip on the other side as well. Press down the paratha a little and roast until it gets brown spots. When the paratha is roasted well, take it off from Tawa and apply Ghee on both sides.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and stuffing to make rest parathas.
What to serve with Sattu Paratha
- Serve hot with any pickle or Eggplant Mash ( बैंगन का भरता )