Sandesh Recipe - Sondesh is a delicious Bengali sweet. This Bengali mishti and melt-in-the mouth 'shondesh' has pride of place in their pantheon of sweet delights. A simple yet delicious sweet made from three basic ingredients sugar, chena (paneer) and cardamom powder.Learn the easiest way to prepare this popular mouth watering Bengali Sweet
for preparing sandesh
- 1 cup Indian cottage cheese (पनीर)
- 1/3 cup sugar powder (चीनी पाउडर)
- 1 pinch green cardamom powder (छोटी इलायची पाउडर)
- 1 tablespoon chopped pistachio (काटा हुआ पिस्ता)
- 1 pinch saffron (केसर)
How to Make Sandesh
- Put Indian cottage cheese, sugar powder and green cardamom powder in a mixer grinder jar and grind to make a smooth paste.
- Remove the mixture from the grinder jar and transfer it to a non-stick pan and cook it continuously stirring on low flame, you will observe the mixture becomes sticky.
- Cook till you get a uniform thick consistency and the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Remove the mixture from flame, cool down and then with the heel of your palm or the base of a flat metal bowl mash the mixture , to a uniform paste. Mash for at least 5 minutes!
- Knead a little to form a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough in equal parts, shape it into a log and slice it into equal parts. Each part should be sufficient to make a small lemon size ball.
- Roll each part between your palm to make balls then press it between your palm gently to form a thick circle shape.
- In the center of the circle gently make a light dent by pressing it with your thumb and place it in a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining dough to make rest sandesh.
How to Garnish Sandesh
- Decorate sandesh with chopped pistachio or saffron or both. Keep it in the refrigerator for couple of hours before serving and enjoy!
- Enjoy this delicious Bengali sweet immediately or within 1-2 days.