Sandesh is a Bengali sweet which is gentle and white with mild sweetness. These qualities of the Sandesh recipe make it popular around the world. When people taste this simple sweet for the first time, then its delish flavor astonishes them. Thus, people fall in love with this delightful recipe. Bengalis call this sweet – Sondesh. In Bengali, Sondesh stands for the word message. Actually, Bengalis share this sweet with their friends and relative along with the good news in the family. Thus Bengalis call it with love Sondesh or Sandesh.
Variety of Sandesh
There are many flavors of this Sandesh recipe like Rose Sandesh, with the flavor of Rose. Gurer Sandesh is a popular Bengali delight, with the flavor of date palm jaggery. Similarly, Jalbhara Sandesh is another popular Bengali sweets. In Jalbhara Sandesh recipe liquid date palm jaggery hides in the core of the recipe. Strawberry Sandesh, Chocolate Sandesh are the few popular varieties of this recipe.
Main Ingredients of Sandesh Recipe
Classic Sandesh is prepared from fresh Chhena (Indian Cottage Cheese) and Sugar or jaggery. To extend its flavor further and achieve more varieties – Rose Syrup, Chocolate, Strawberries, cardamom powder, etc are added.
Here I am sharing with you the classic Sandesh. You can experiment with this recipe with more flavors of your choice. Please do not forget to share your achievement with the new flavor in the comment section below.
As told earlier the flavor of this recipe is just awesome. Mouth-melting and mild sweetness of this recipe give a general impression that it is very difficult to make this recipe. Thus I call it queen of Bengali sweets. As the royal flavor gives a memorable taste. Though its very simple to prepare.
Come let us prepare this simple and flavourful recipe. Prior to preparing this recipe, I should tell you that this recipe requires fresh Cheena (paneer or Indian Cottage Cheese). It is very easy to prepare fresh chenna at home. You can check out this link on how to make paneer at home. Fresh Cheena is moist and this recipe demands moist paneer.
for preparing Sandesh
- 1 cup Indian cottage cheese (पनीर)
- 1/3 cup sugar powder (चीनी पाउडर)
- 1 pinch green cardamom powder (छोटी इलायची पाउडर)
- 1 tablespoon chopped pistachio (काटा हुआ पिस्ता)
- 1 pinch saffron (केसर)
How to Make Sandesh
- Put Indian cottage cheese, sugar powder and green cardamom powder in a mixer grinder jar and grind to make a smooth paste.
- Remove the mixture from the grinder jar and transfer it to a non-stick pan and cook it continuously stirring on low flame, you will observe the mixture becomes sticky.
- Cook till you get a uniform thick consistency and the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Remove the mixture from the flame, cool down and then with the heel of your palm or the base of a flat metal bowl mash the mixture, to a uniform paste. Mash for at least 5 minutes!
- Knead a little to form a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough in equal parts, shape it into a log and slice it into equal parts. Each part should be sufficient to make a small lemon size ball.
- Roll each part between your palm to make balls then press it between your palm gently to form a thick circular shape.
- In the center of the circle gently make a light dent by pressing it with your thumb and place it on a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining dough to make rest Sandesh.
How to Garnish Sandesh
- Decorate Sandesh with chopped pistachio or saffron or both. Keep it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before serving and enjoy!
- Enjoy this delicious Bengali sweet immediately or within 1-2 days.