Do you usually buy Gulab Sharbat or Rooh Afza Sharbat for flavoring your drinks? The main content of all these concentrates is rose syrup. Which you can easily prepare Rose Syrup recipe at home.
Rose Syrup is a versatile flavoring agent. We use it so many drinks – Lassi, Thandai, Rose Sharbat, Gulkand Shake, Rose Milk Shake, Coconut Rose Drink, etc. It is also in use for flavoring sweets like Rose Sandesh, Rajbhog, etc. It is also widely in use as a topping for Kulfi and ice-creams.
The best part of preparing this recipe at home is that you know it is free from preservatives. On preparing it at home you are also sure, that it is pure Rose Syrup recipe. That it has been prepared from genuine rose flowers. And no artificial essence has been added to it. This syrup not only adds the lovely aroma of rose to your recipe. But it also acts as a cooling agent during the hot summer.
How to make Rose Syrup at Home?
For a delicious, aromatic syrup always use fresh petals of the rose. Dried petals will not produce the desired result.
If you seal this syrup in an airtight glass bottle and store it in the refrigerator. It can stand for around a year. The sugar in the syrup tends to crystallize on cooling. If you want to store it for long. Then to prevent sugar from crystallizing you can use lemon extract or citric acid or both.
Here is the recipe for aromatic homemade rose syrup that adds smooth flavor to many recipes.
Rose Syrup Recipe
for Rose Syrup Recipe
- 1 cup rose petals (गुलाब की पंखुड़ियां) of red rose
- 3 cup water (पानी)
- 4 cup sugar (चीनी)
How to Make Rose Syrup
- Wash and clean the rose petals in running water.
- In a wide pan put the tightly packed 1 cup rose petals and cover with 3 cup water. Leave this overnight or at least for 6-8 hours.
- The next morning add sugar to the rose petal and water mixture and stir over low heat, till sugar gets dissolved.
- When dissolved, increase the heat and let it come to a boil and cook till thickened to one thread consistency.
- To check whether the syrup has reached 1 string consistency place a drop of syrup between your thumb and index finger and then move the fingers away from each other, you will see a formation of thick 1 strings. This means the syrup is done. Remove pan from heat and keep it aside.
- Take another pan or a bowl and place a large strainer with clean muslin or cheesecloth on the strainer. You can directly line the pan with the cloth but strainer is recommended so that rose syrup doesn’t fall in the pan during straining.
- Pour rose syrup with rose petals in the bowl with a thin cheesecloth, lined over a strainer and collect the syrup into the bottom.
- Once the maximum syrup has strained out, carefully gather the edges of the muslin cloth and strain the balance rose syrup gently squeezing the cloth.
- Cool the syrup at room temperature and store in an airtight glass bottle and refrigerate for later use.
- You can use this syrup to make rose drinks, shakes, Falooda, Kulfi, ice-cream, etc.