Today we will make Bengali prawn recipe. Prawn Malai Curry or Chingri Malai Curry Recipe is an easy simple recipe with an abundance of flavors and tastes yum. This recipe is prepared in the least amount of spices. Prawn Malai curry is a recipe, which tastes a little sweet. Its sweetness comes from coconut milk. This is a creamy mouthwatering recipe. This will not stop you from eating after tasting this prawn cooked in coconut milk. A traditional Bengali relish.
Everyone knows that Bengalis like fish much like. Though technically prawn is not a fish, prawns are relished by the Bengali’s. As a community mainly based around the coastal regions of Bay of Bengal, you can very well understand their love for plates of seafood. Thus prawn also gets a place in a small corner of their heart.
Check out how to make prawn malai curry.
Prawn Malai Curry Recipe
for marination of prawn
- 200 gram prawn (झींगा)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1/4 salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
for fresh coconut milk
- 1 piece coconut (नारियल)
for curry paste
- 2 pieces onion (प्याज) medium size
- 1 pieces tomato (टमाटर) medium size
whole garam masala for prawn malai curry
- 1 piece bay leaf (तेज पत्ता)
- 1/2 teaspoon black cumin seeds (शाह जीरा)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (दालचीनी)
- 1 piece black cardamom (बडी इलायची)
- 4 pieces green cardamom (छोटी इलायची)
- 6 tablespoon refined oil (रिफाइंड तेल)
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger paste (अदरक का पेस्ट)
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic paste (लहसून का पेस्ट)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder (गरम मसाला पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seed's powder (भुना हुआ जीरा पाउडर)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 2 pieces slit green chili (चीरा हुआ हरी मिर्च)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (धनिया पाउडर)
- 4-5 pieces cashew nut (काजू)
- 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds (पोस्ता)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- sugar to taste (स्वाद के लिए चीनी)
- 1 cup water (पानी)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cream (ताजा क्रीम)
to clean prawn
- If using fresh prawn - to discard the shrimps head hold the prawns body with one hand and using your other hand to firmly grasp and twist the head of shrimp. Peel off the skin and legs, and remove its tail.
- To remove the tail - hold the prawns body with one hand and grab the prawn tail with your other hand then pull the prawns tail off. Discard it too.
- To devein the prawn. Use a sharp knife to slit a small black line that runs down the length of the prawn’s back. This cut should be done from head to tail side of the prawn. Inside, you will see a small black tube which is digestive track of the prawn. Pluck out this black tube and discard it.
- If you are using frozen prawns you can skip the above steps.
to marinate prawn
- Wash and clean the prawns with cold water. Rinse them well.
- Marinate the shrimp with turmeric powder and salt. cover the bowl with a plastic wrap well, then keep in refrigerator for up to 1 hour for marination.
to prepare curry
- Chop the onion. Then move the chopped onions to a mixer jar and grind to a fine paste and keep it aside in bowl.
- Chop the tomato. Then move the chopped tomato to a mixer jar and grind to a make tomato puree.
- Soak the poppy seeds along with cashew nut in a bowl for around 10 minutes in lukewarm water. Then move it to a mixer jar and grind to a make paste. Keep the paste ready to use later.
how to prepare fresh coconut milk for prawn malai curry
- Using the sharp knife, pierce the eyes of the coconut. Then drain coconut water in a bowl.
- Put coconut on a hard surface and smack with hammer to crack open the coconut.
- With the help of your kitchen knife, pry the coconut meat from it's hard skin.
- Now with the sharp knife chop the coconut meat into 1 centimeter cubes. Then move the chopped coconut meat cubes to a mixer jar and grind to a fine paste. Adding a little coconut water if required.
- Meanwhile take another pan or a bowl and place a clean muslin or cheese cloth over it. transfer the coconut paste on this muslin cloth with bowl at bottom. Carefully gather the edges of the muslin cloth. Make a knot of the gathered muslin cloth and and strain the coconut milk gently in the bowl.
- Squeeze the muslin cloth gently to gather the remaining coconut milk in the past. Discard the coconut paste husk.
how to fry prawn for prawn malai curry
- Heat 2 tablespoon of refined oil on medium flame in a pan, when oil is sufficiently hot and turns smoky, add marinated prawn and sear them for a minute till turn light golden.
- After a minute or so, flip the prawns over, and sear for a minute till turn golden. We need not to cook these prawns completely as they will later get cooked in our prawn malai curry.
- Once done, transfer the fried prawns in a plate and set them aside.
how to make prawn malai curry
- Heat 4 tablespoon of refined oil on medium flame in a pan, when oil is sufficiently hot add black cumin followed by black cardamom, green cardamom, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, turmeric powder and red chili powder.
- Immediately add chopped green chili then onion paste to the pan. Fry onion paste until onion turns light brown.
- Turn the flame to low and add ginger paste, garlic paste, coriander powder along with salt and fry it for 5 minutes stirring gently. Then add tomato puree and fry until oil starts separating.
- Now, add paste of poppy seeds and cashew nuts prepared earlier and cook for another 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Now, add fried prawn to the spices mix well and cover the pan with a lid. Cook it for around 15 minutes, stirring occasionally after every 3-4 minutes in low heat then covering the pan again till the prawn is slightly cooked and oil leaves sides.
- Now add garam masala powder and coconut milk and cook for another 2 minutes. Add sugar to as per your taste. Adjust water if you want a thick or thin gravy and cook it till gravy starts boiling.
- Spread fresh cream over the recipe. Mix well and switch off the flame.
- The prawn malai curry is ready to serve.
- This recipe goes best with streamed rice. You can also serve it hot along with chapati, nan, roti etc