Paneer Khurchan is a North Indian recipe you will love to try today. This main course is prepared with paneer, tomato, onion, and capsicum. This easy and simple recipe and is ideal for a special occasion.
This delicious dish has a creamy texture that will have you licking your fingers. It’s a delicious dish made with regular Indian spices and low-fat cream, and it’s garnished with coriander leaves. Serve it hot with tandoori roti or butter naan for a complete meal.
What is Paneer Khurchan?
Paneer Khurchan is a combination of 2 Hindi words.
- Paneer or Indian Paneer – which describes the main ingredient of this recipe.
- Khorchan – means “crush.” Which defines the process of making this recipe. To understand it better, you have to understand its cooking process.
This dish is basically made by scrapping the cheese in semi-dried onion, tomato, and bell pepper sauce as we will be searing the paneer in a slightly tangy, spicy, and slightly sweet sauce and cream. Thus, we need to use a thick and heavy-bottomed iron griddle (तवा). We shall fry the paneer evenly at a high temperature on all sides while retaining the cheese’s moisture on this iron pan.
When we fry these cheese strips at high temperatures on a heavy-bottomed iron griddle (तवा), it sticks to the griddle(तवा) as a natural process. Thus to fry the Paneer equally from all sides, it needs to be scraped from the surface of the griddle(तवा). It Sticks, again and again, when we flip and fry the Paneer, and we need to scrape it. This is how the name Paneer Khurachan comes in.
After knowing all this, here is a tip – if you don’t want to put extra effort into washing and cleaning the griddle(तवा), you can also use a non-stick frying pan. It works equally well.
Now here is the delicious Panner Khurchan recipe for you.
Paneer Khurchan Recipe
- 250 grams Indian cottage cheese (पनीर)
- 2 medium sliced onion (कटा हुआ प्याज)
- 1 large chopped tomato (कटा हुआ टमाटर)
- 1 large chopped capsicum (कटी हुई शिमला मिर्च) bell pepper or 100 grams capsicum
- 1 inch ginger juliennes (पतले लंबे अदरक के टुकड़े)
- 1 or 2 slit green chili (चीरा हुआ हरी मिर्च)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (हींग)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder (गरम मसाला पाउडर) or add as required
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर) or add as required
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (धनिया पाउडर)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (जीरा पाउडर)
- ½ teaspoon dry fenugreek leaves (कसूरी मेथी) - crushed
- 1 tablespoon low-fat cream (कम वसा वाली क्रीम) - optional
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा काटा हुआ धनिया पत्ती) for garnish
- 1.5 tablespoon oil (तेल)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
Preparation for Paneer Khurachan Recipe
- Cut 250 grams of cottage cheese into 1-inch batches or strips.
- Cut all the vegetables, i.e., 2 medium-sized onions, into thin slices, cut 1 big tomato, cut 1 big capsicum/capsicum into small cubes, cut 1 or 2 green chilies, prepare 1-inch ginger julienne. Remember to set aside some ginger julienne to decorate.
How to make Paneer Khurchan
- Heat 1.5 tbsp of oil in a medium to large iron pan. Preferably use a nonstick frying pan. You can also use an iron or steel frying pan.
- As soon as the oil is hot, add the chopped onions. Fry them till they become translucent.
- Then, add chopped tomatoes and capsicum cubes and stir vigorously.
- Fry on a low flame for 7 to 8 minutes till the tomatoes become soft and the capsicum is almost cooked and keep stirring.
- Now add masala powder - 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp red chili powder, 1/2 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/4 tsp garam masala powder, a pinch of asafoetida. , And salt as per taste. You can adjust the quantity of red chili powder and garam masala powder according to your taste.
- Mix the spice powder well with the mixture of roasted onions, tomatoes, and capsicum.
- Add chopped green chilies and ginger julienne to it. If you want, you can add 1 or 2 green chilies as per taste.
- Mix well, and then add cheese strips.
- Stir again so that the masala is coated with paneer. Then turn the heat on high as when you mix the cheese with the spice mixture, it leaves moisture; thus, to fry it well, this high flame is required.
- Now, align and place each cheese strip with a spatula to touch the griddle. Cook evenly and till they turn slightly golden from the bottom.
- After one minute, please take out the strips of the cheese and scrape it from the bottom. If everything starts to brown very quickly, then reduce the heat. Turn over and let it fry till slightly brown from the other side as well.
- Sieve once again and mix. If you see paneer or onion-tomato pieces on the pan, then keep its scraper. Caution to be taken: Do not overcook the cottage cheese, or it will become hard. Scraping and flipping should be accomplished quickly.
- Scrape all the cheese pieces, as well as onions, tomatoes, and capsicum.
- Finally, add 1 tablespoon low fat cream and 1/2 teaspoon of roasted and crushed dry fenugreek leaves. The cream is optional; if you don't like it, skip it.
- Please switch off the flame and mix it well once again.
- Use 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves to garnish Paneer Khurchan and serve it with Roti, Parantha, or Naan.
Keywords: Paneer Khurchan Sanjeev Kapoor, what is Khurchan, paneer Lababdar, paneer jalfrezi, paneer Khurchan masala, Khurchan sweet recipe, paneer Khurchan roll, paneer recipes