Palak Paneer Recipe
Palak Paneer - Indian cottage cheese in smooth creamy delicious spinach gravy, is a delicious Indian dish, favorite across north India. A healthy green colored cottage cheese curry recipe served mainly with Indian breads like roti, paratha, nan and missi roti.
Servings: 4 People
- 250 grams spinach (पालक का साग )
- 2 pieces chopped green chili (कटा हुआ हरी मिर्च)
- 2 pieces chopped garlic cloves (कटा हुआ लहसुन का लौंग)
- 1/2 inch finely chopped ginger (बारीक़ कटा हुआ अदरक)
- 3 cups water (पानी) for blanching
- 3 cups cold water (ठंडा पानी) for ice bath
ingredients for Palak Paneer
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (कटा हुआ प्याज)
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato (कटा हुआ टमाटर)
- 4 pieces chopped garlic cloves (कटा हुआ लहसुन का लौंग)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (जीरा)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder (धनिया पाउडर) (optional)
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder (हींग पाउडर)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder (गरम मसाला पाउडर)
- 1 piece bay leaf (तेज पत्ता)
- 1 Pinch sugar (चीनी) (optional)
- 250 grams Indian cottage cheese (पनीर) cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup water (पानी) or add as required
- 2-3 tablespoon oil (तेल)
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek leaves (कसूरी मेथी)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
garnish for palak paneer recipe
- 2 tablespoon fresh cream (ताजा क्रीम)
Preparation for palak paneer recipe
- Remove spinach leaves from stem (tender stems are fine but if stems are stringy, then discard those stems) and wash leaves very well in running water.
- Heat a heavy bottomed wok; add 1 tablespoon of oil and butter to it and lightly to fry the cottage cheese cubes till brown and keep it aside.
How to make palak puree
- Take 3 cups of water in a pan and add 1/4 teaspoon of salt to it, when it starts to boil, then add spinach. Let it sit in water for 1 minute.
- After 1 minute switch off the stove and drain the hot water.
- Now, remove the spinach from pan and immediately add to a bowl containing ice cold water (this method help in preserving natural green color of spinach) and allow spinach leaves to cool down.
- Now, drain the ice cold water from spinach leaves.
- Blend the spinach in a blender along with chopped ginger, garlic and green chilies to make a thick spinach paste and keep the spinach puree aside.
How to make palak paneer
- Heat a heavy bottomed wok in low flame then add oil or butter to it, when the oil gets hot add cumin seed.
- When a cumin seed starts to crackle add bay leaves, then add chopped onion and saute till the onions become golden.
- Then add chopped garlic cloves and again saute till raw aroma of garlic goes away.
- Now, add the chopped tomato and let it cook for 5-6 minute on medium heat stirring the mixture till tomatoes gets soften.
- Once the tomatoes get softened and you see fat getting released from the mixture add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and asafoetida powder stir very well.
- Now, add spinach paste mix well, add 1/2 cup of water stirring the mixture and let it simmer further for another 5 minute or more till spinach gets cooked season with salt, the puree will also get thicken by now.
- Add 1 pinch of sugar to remove bitter taste of spinach. Stir and add garam masala powder.
- Stir again then add the fried pieces of cottage cheese and mix it well. Cover and cook on low flame for 6-7 minute.
- When you will see the cottage cheese cubes became soft and succulent. Cook for about 1 more minute.
- Take it out in a serving bowl and garnish with fresh cream.
- Serve hot with chapati, paratha, nan or steamed rice.