The biggest celebration for Bengalis is Durga Puja. This celebration continues till Deepawali when Bengalis celebrate their Kali Pujo. This festive season doesn’t end here. When the winter starts and the temperature starts dropping Norel Gur starts knocking the door. This date palm jaggery is an intrinsic part of Bengali culture.
With winters the marriage season starts in India. Sondesh which is a popular Bengali sweet. As the name suggests, Sondesh means a message in Bengali. So, Bengalis start exchanging good news along with this Sondesh recipe.
Norel Gur added in preparing this Sondesh recipe makes it very special and ethnic. These Nolen Gurer Sandesh simply melt in your mouth. Leaving behind a very pleasant flavor of the date palm jaggery.
For those who are outside Bengal. And missing the date palm jaggery Sondesh! Here is the Nolen Gurer Sandesh recipe. Though Sondesh is not available everywhere. You can easily find Nolen Gur in Superstores. Between November to January, this date palm jaggery is even available at online stores. In India, this date palm jaggery that Bengalis call Khejurer Gur is also available in Gandhi Gram Udyog stores.
Popular Sondesh recipes
Sondesh is known for its gentle and mild sweetness. It so popular Bengali sweet that people added a variety of flavor to it. Few popular Sandesh recipes are Rose Sandesh, Chocolate Sandesh, Strawberry Sandesh, etc. Though all these Sondesh recipes are available round the year. But you can enjoy the flavor of Nolen Gurer Sondesh only in winters. So do not miss this opportunity! Another popular Sondesh prepared from date palm jaggery is the Jalbhara Sondesh recipe.
Nolen Gurer Sandesh Recipe
Sandesh is very easy to prepare. It has only two basic ingredients fresh Chhena (Indian Cottage Cheese) and Sugar or jaggery. As we are preparing Gurer Sondesh thus in this recipe we will use Nolen Gur.
Ethnic Sondesh is prepared from fresh Chhena or Indian Cottage Cheese. Sondesh recipe requires Chena that is a little moist. You can get a moist Chena only when you prepare it fresh. Here is the recipe to prepare fresh Chena at home.
Prior to proceeding for our Nolen Gurer Sandesh Recipe here are the few tips to turn your Nolen Gurer Sandesh really delicious.
Always use Chena that feel a little moist. If you are preparing Chena at home. Prepare it from whole milk. You will not get the desired result from Chena prepared from low-fat milk.
Traditionally date palm jaggery and Chenna is mixed by hand. Since we are going to use a mixer grinder. Thus do it, till it turns into a smooth paste. Always check if you require more grinding.
After cooking this paste you again have to knead the mixture until you get it all smooth. For this step, I recommend using your hand. You have to knead it into a very smooth paste otherwise your Sondesh will have cracks.
As you have understood the above points. So, let us start preparing our Nolen Gurer Sandesh.
Nolen Gurer Sandesh Recipe
- 1 cup Indian cottage cheese (पनीर)
- 1/3 cup date palm jaggery (खजूर गुड़)
- 1 pinch green cardamom powder (छोटी इलायची पाउडर optional
- 2 tablespoon date palm jaggery (खजूर गुड़)
How to make date palm jaggery Sandesh
- Crumble date palm jaggery in a bowl.
- Put Indian cottage cheese and crumbled date palm jaggery in a mixer grinder jar and grind to make a smooth paste for at least 5 minutes. If you want you can also add 1 pinch of green cardamom powder.
- Remove the mixture from the grinder jar and transfer it to a non-stick pan and cook it continuously stirring on low flame, you will observe the mixture becomes sticky.
- Cook till you get a uniform thick consistency and the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Remove the mixture from the flame, cool down and then with the heel of your palm or the base of a flat metal bowl mash the mixture, to a uniform paste. Mash for at least 5 minutes!
- Take a small portion of the dough sufficient to make a small lemon size ball. Roll it in your palm. Then roll this ball between your palm to make balls then press it between your palm gently to form a thick circular shape.
- In the center of the circle gently make a light deep dent by pressing it with your thumb and place it on a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining dough to make rest Sandesh.
How to Garnish Gurer Sandesh
- Take 2 tablespoons of date palm jaggery in a non-stick pan and heat it on low flame continuously stirring it till it turns into a thick liquid.
- As soon a the date palm jaggery turns into liquid. Take one spoon of this liquid from the pan and drop it in the dent of each Sandesh to fill it up.
- Keep it at room temperature for a couple of hours before serving and enjoy!
- You can refrigerate and use it within 2-3 days.
As you noticed this Khejur Gurer Sandesh is very delicious and easy to prepare. If winters have gone! Prepare Sondesh with a variety of flavors. For your kids prepare it adding Chocolate or Strawberry flavor. You can also add Rose Syrup to make Rose Sondesh. And enjoy the legacy of this Bengali Sweet.