Namak Pare Recipe
Namak pare, also nimki in Bengali or nimkin in regular Hindi are a great snack to enjoy with tea.
Servings: 6 -8 serving
- 2 cup refined flour (मैदा)
- 4 tablespoon semolina (सूजी)
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds (अजवाइन)
- 1.4 teaspoon salt (नमक)
- 4 tablespoon clarified butter (घी)
- lukewarm water (गुनगुना पानी)
- oil (तेल) for frying
making dough for namak pare
- Take a pan and heat the clarified butter to melt on low flame. Cook it till it melts (do not over heat it we only need melted clarified butter to prepare the dough).
- Take refined flour in a bowl add Salt, carom seeds to it and mix well.
- Now pour melted clarified butter to above mixture and rub the ghee with the flour, then add lukewarm water in parts and begin to knead. Knead into a stiff dough with water.
- Cover the dough with a moist cloth and keep the dough aside covered for 15 minutes.
for making namak pare
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts. Roll each part in your palm to make balls and place all the balls in a same bowl and cover it with moist cloth.
- Dust the rolling board lightly with some flour. Roll each ball with the rolling pin to a circle of around 1/2 centimeter thick disc on a rolling board.
- Cut the circle into long rectangles or diamonds with the help of serrated knife making criss-cross pattern on the rolled dough.
- Remove the rectangles or diamonds from the rolling board and accumulate all the raw namak pare in a some bowl and cover it with moist cloth.
- Repeat the procedure with the remaining dough.
for frying namak pare
- Heat the oil in a kadahi or pan on medium flame for deep frying namak pare. To check if the oil is hot enough put a pinch of dough in it. If it comes up briskly and quickly the oil is sufficiently warm to fry the namak pare. If the dough sits at the bottom you should wait for oil to heat up.
- When the oil is hot enough gently slid the some cut pieces in oil. Just add as many cut pieces as fit in comfortably and turn the heat to low flame after 2 minute of adding cut pieces in ghee.
- Fry the namak pare on low heat stirring occasionally, till crisp and golden brown.
- Drain the namak pare on paper napkin to remove excess oil and let it cool down. Your namak pare is ready to serve after cooling on room temperature.
- Fry rest of the namak pare is same procedure, increasing the heat to medium for a few seconds before adding the next lot.
- You can serve the namak pare to your family or guest after cooling the fried namak pare directly.
- Namak pare can be eaten at room temperature and can be stored in air-tight containers for a month.