Mutton Rara, also known as Rara Mutton, is a dish, that originated from an accident. In this recipe, we cook mutton pieces and minced mutton together. This recipe produces a thick gravy. Which you can enjoy with any Indian bread like Tandoori Roti, Naan, Rumali Roti or Chapati, etc.
This accident happened in Awadh. Awadh, now known as Lucknow, is the capital of Uttar Pradesh. Uttar Pradesh is a northern state of India. Awadh is popular for its non-vegetarian dishes. Especially kebabs! A wide variety of kebabs, such as Galouti Kebab, Seekh Kebab, Chicken Shami Kabab, Kakori Kebab, etc. are Awadh’s gifts to the world.
We also know Awadh for its Dum Pukht style of cooking. Dum Pukht cooking uses a round and heavy-bottomed pot called Handi. In this Handi, food is sealed and cooked over a slow fire.
What is Mutton Rara?
I first enjoyed this recipe in a restaurant of Lucknow. After ordering this recipe when I asked the chef – why you call this recipe Rara Mutton? What is the meaning of “Rara” in this recipe? He told me an interesting story.
He told that once Nabab had called a grand party long ago. The kings of this region are known as Nababs. Since the party was grand, thus the chef decided to prepare the dishes in portions.
At that party, the chef accidentally mixed the minced mutton recipe and mutton recipe, assuming both utensils have the same recipe. When the chef realized his mistake the word that came out of his mouth was “Aree Ra Ra Ra“! People usually use this word in Hindi which similar to “uff oh“. Thus its name Rara.
To have fun, I asked – why some people call it Mutton Rara while others call it Rara Mutton? With a smile, he said – what is the difference? Whether you add the minced meat to the mutton or mix the mutton into the minced meat!
The conversation was getting interesting – so I asked – Do you also cook this recipe similarly? What he told was even more interesting. He said that he uniquely prepares this recipe. The recipe that he told of Mutton Rara or Rara Mutton is as below.
Mutton Rara Recipe
- 500 grams of mutton (बकरे का मांस)
- 250 grams of minced mutton (बकरे के मांस का कीमा)
for fresh grounded garam masala
- 5 pieces of green cardamom (छोटी इलायची)
- 15 pieces of cloves (लौंग)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (दालचीनी)
- 15 pieces of black pepper (काली मिर्च)
- 1 pinch nutmeg powder (जायफल पाउडर)
for brown onion
- 5 pieces of chopped onion (कटा हुआ प्याज) medium size
- 1/4 cup refined oil (रिफाइंड तेल)
- 1/4 cup mustard oil (सरसों का तेल)
for preparation Mutton Rara Recipe
- 2 pieces Indian bay leaf (तेज पत्ता)
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste (लहसुन का पेस्ट)
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste (अदरक का पेस्ट)
- 4 pieces chopped tomato (कटा हुआ टमाटर) medium size
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1.5 teaspoon red chili powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder (धनिया पाउडर)
- 1 cup whisked curd (फेटा हुआ दही)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 1 cup water (पानी)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा काटा हुआ धनिया पत्ती)
- 1 tablespoon long ginger juliennes (पतले लंबे अदरक के टुकड़े)
- To prepare this recipe, firstly, clean and wash the mutton pieces and keep it in a bowl.
- Now, clean and wash the minced mutton and keep it in a separate bowl.
How to prepare fresh grounded garam masala for Mutton Rara
- Heat nonstick pan over a low flame, when it is sufficiently hot. Add Cinnamon stick, green cardamom, black pepper, and cloves. Fry them tossing it three to four times until nice aroma releases. Transfer the mixture from griddle to plate to cool down.
- When the spices are sufficiently cooled down. Transfer roasted spices into a hollow and grind it too into coarse powder and keep it in a plate.
- Add a pinch of nutmeg powder in the ground garam masala mix well and keep aside, we will use it in Mutton Rara preparation later.
How to make Brown Onion
- The preparation of brown onion is a very important step for preparing Mutton Rara. In Mutton Rara recipe the mutton gets fried for approximately 40 minutes. Thus if we start the recipe with frying onion first and continue to cook onions till the end of the recipe, the onions will get burnt and the taste of the recipe will get bitter.
- Slice the onions into long fine pieces.
- Pour half cup refined oil and half cup mustard oil in a heavy bottom pan and put it on medium flame. When the oil starts to smoke add the chopped onions. Fry the onions stirring occasionally till they turn golden in color.
- As soon as onions turn golden drain the onions from oil and keep it in a bowl. We will use it later in our recipes.
How to Make Mutton Rara
- Heat the pressure cooker and add bay leaves to the same preheated oil in which we have cooked brown onion earlier as it contains taste and sweetness of onion in it, which got infused in oil during cooking onion.
- Now add mutton and fry stirring continuously for 5 minutes on high flame. so that the mutton gets disarrayed and doesn’t get stick at the bottom. Frying mutton on high flame helps in retaining juices and moisture in mutton retained in itself.
- After 5 minutes of frying the mutton add the mutton mince to it and again fry for 5 minutes stirring continuously.
- Now add 1 teaspoon garlic and 1 teaspoon ginger paste mix well and remember to keep the flame still on high.
- Now mix the previously prepared brown onion to it along with previously prepared fresh grounded garam masala. Again mix well and fry for 3-4 minutes. This recipe has lots of frying at regular intervals, and this is a must to make this dish delicious - because of this reason we add brown onion and garam masala at this stage so that, the spices and onions do not get burnt.
- Now add finely chopped tomato again mix well and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Now add red chili powder and coriander powder and again sauté this for 5 minutes more. We need to sauté this till the tomatoes become soft.
- Mix a cup of curd to it and again sauté this for 10 minutes.
- To this add salt as per your taste mix well and add a cup of water again mix well.
- Now cover and pressure cook it till 10 minutes (3-4 whistles) on medium flame.
- Switch off the stove and let the pressure release.
- When the pressure gets released dish out the mutton in a bowl. Garnish it with chopped green coriander and ginger juliennes.
- Serve with Naan, Tandoori Roti, Phulka, or Shirmal.
After telling me his secret recipe. He further said, sometimes when the customer is in too much hurry, or it’s too late to serve the order. Then they prepare this recipe by combining the remaining minced mutton recipe and mutton curry recipe. And smiled and said if you want to enjoy a delicious Rara Mutton recipe, be patient.