Bhuna Gosht is a Hyderabadi delight, very popular in India and Pakistan. In this recipe, we mainly use bite-size boneless mutton pieces. Meat from the thigh portion of lamb is best to use. You can also use mutton with bones in this recipe. We fry these mutton pieces with spices and onion in pure Clarified Butter (Desi Ghee). Thus in the Mutton Bhuna Gosht recipe, the spices wrap up over the mutton pieces. Which turns them soft and very tender.
In this recipe, we prefer Meat pieces from the leg of a baby lamb. As the leg portion has maximum flesh. Further meat pieces of baby lamb are very soft. But if you fail to get it. Then you can mix raw papaya paste and marinate the mutton pieces for 1 hour before cooking. Raw papaya paste is a natural meat tenderizer. Thus makes the meat very tender!
You can also try this recipe with chicken pieces and for vegetarian people, Paneer is also an option. Here is the recipe for delicious Hyderabadi Mutton Bhuna Gosht. When you will cook this recipe at home. It will be demanded again and again by your family and friends.
Mutton Bhuna Gosht is a great dinner party dish that you can enjoy as an appetizer. You can also serve it hot with Jeera rice or any Indian flatbread like Chapati, Rumali Roti or Garlic Coriander Naan.
Mutton Bhuna Masala
- 500 grams mutton (बकरे का मांस)
- 2 pieces onion (प्याज) medium size, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon tomato puree (टमाटर का गाढ़ा गूदा)
- 200 gram whisked curd (फेटा हुआ दही)
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste (लहसुन का पेस्ट)
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice (नींबू का रस)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ginger paste (अदरक का पेस्ट)
- 2 pieces slit green chili (चीरा हुआ हरी मिर्च)
- 2 - 3 pieces Indian bay leaf (तेज पत्ता)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (धनिया पाउडर)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon garam masala powder (गरम मसाला पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder (काली मिर्च पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (जीरा)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (शाह जीरा)
- 1 tablespoon dry fenugreek leaves (कसूरी मेथी)
- 200 grams clarified butter (घी) or Oil
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा काटा हुआ धनिया पत्ती) for garnish
How to Make Mutton Bhuna Masala
- Clean the mutton and pat dry.
- In a bowl mix together mutton pieces, lemon juice, and salt.
- Wait for 5 mins and then heat 1 tablespoon of ghee or oil in a heavy bottom pan or Kadai and pan fry the mutton pieces till they are slightly tender and soft.
- Take them out and marinate them with whisked curd. Keep it aside for 15 mins.
- Now heat the remaining ghee in the same kadhai and add the bay leaf, cumin seeds, and shahi jeera seeds.
- When they begin to splutter add the chopped onions.
- Saute till the onions turn dark golden in color.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and cook till all the raw smell disappears.
- Add the tomato puree and cook till the oil separates.
- Now add all the spice powders - Turmeric, Coriander, Black Pepper and salt.
- Reduce the flame and add the marinated mutton pieces and green chilies and saute further for 10 minutes till all the masala is evenly coated on the mutton pieces.
- Add 3/4 cup of warm water, cover it, and let the mutton simmer till it is fork ready and done.
- Keep stirring occasionally to check so that masala does not get burnt.
- Once done add the garam masala and dried Kasuri methi powder and mix well.
- Take it out and garnish coriander leaves.
- Serve the Mutton Bhuna Masala hot with Naan or Rumali Roti along with green chutney and Onion and Salad.