Moong bean sprouts are tasty and nutritious, and they are easy to prepare at home. Not only do they taste better than store-bought, but they are very economical too. I will show you 2 quick and easy ways to make moong sprout at home without a sprout maker.
Also, packaged sprouts have a higher risk of contamination. In contrast, homemade sprouts are much more hygienic. Canned sprouts usually have added preservatives to increase their shelf life. Sometimes packaged sprouts even have a bitter taste or foul smell.
Making your own sprouted moong is an economical and time-saving option. The method of sprouting beans is straightforward, and it does not take much of your time.
Green gram is rich in protein, fiber, and vital nutrients. Sprouting enhances the nutritional value of mung beans. Mung Bean Sprouts contain higher folate levels, Vitamin K, C, magnesium, phosphorus, and anti-oxidants than un-sprouted beans.
Delicious sprouted moong (also known as green gram sprouts) is a healthy ingredient found in various sweet and salty dishes.
From salads to snacks, thick custard, and soups, mung is excellent for adding a minor earthy flavor and many nutrients to various dishes.
Below are the step-by-step instructions for two simple methods that I like. One is excellent for producing consistently delicious and hearty moong beans.
Mung Bean Sprouts | Green Gram Sprouts
- 1/2 cup whole moong bean (साबुत मूंग)
- 2 cups water (पानी) as required
- muslin cloth (मलमल का कपड़ा)
How to Grow Sprouted Moong
- In a large mixing bowl, combine half a cup of moong dal. Stones and broken beans should be picked up and thrown. Also, if you find any shrunken or wrinkled beans, throw them out.
- Wash them thoroughly in plenty of water at least three times until the water runs clear. For soaking, I prefer dechlorinated or boiled water that is cold.
- Soak them for a minimum of 9 to 12 hours. We do not want the sprouts to smell, so please do not cover the cup. I cover the mess with a mess basket.
- After 9 hours, it resembles mine. Some beans must be soaked for an extended time. The skin of the beans must be broken; now is the time to begin sprouting them. When they get wet, you can sometimes see them growing on their own.
- Drain the water and replace it with fresh water. Many times, only clean water is used to wash them. Please put them in a colander to drain.
- There are two ways to sprout.
Method 1: Place the moong dal in a jar.
- A) Place the sieved beans in a bowl or jar. As green beans can develop an odor, make sure there is no excess dripping water.
- Cover the bowl partially and store it in a dark, warm place away from sunlight. Do not completely cover. They germinate on their own.
- In 12 hours, I sprouted for so long. I didn't wash them in between and only checked in after 12 hours. Wash and remove the sprouts completely if you want them to last longer. Cover it partially and place it in a dark, warm location. If you live in a hot climate, you may need to water your plants every few hours.
Method 2 - Cloth Sprouting
- With a clean muslin or thin cotton cloth, squeeze out any excess water. Spread it out and top with the sieved moong dal.
- To bundle the moong, bring all of the edges together, roll tightly, and tie a knot. Rolling the sprouts tightly helps them thicken, and this method is similar to placing a heavy object on top of soaking seeds or beans to grow thicker sprouts. Please store it in a container that is partially covered. Please transport it to a warm and dark location.
- They will begin to sprout depending on the weather conditions. Occasionally, sprouts appear within 3 to 4 hours. They may take up to a day to germinate properly. It looked like me in the photos after 8 hours.
- I retied it and sprayed it with water. Allow all excess water to drain and set aside for 12 hours. For several days, green beans sprouted and could be seen with a cloth.
- If the weather is sweating and the cloth is drying, sprinkle some water to keep the beans moist. However, please make sure that no excess water is dripping because it may cause rot or the development of odors.
Keywords: how to make sprouts salad, how to make sprouts step by step, how to make sprouts overnight, how to make sprouts chaat, how to make sprouts without cloth, how to sprout, how to eat sprouts