Moong Dal With Palak
- 1 Cup split green gram lentil (पीला मूंग दाल)
- 3 Cup spinach (पालक का साग ) chopped
- 1 Pinch turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1 tea spoon red chili powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 1 tea spoon asafoetida (हींग)
- 1 tbsp butter (मक्खन)
- 1 tea spoon garlic (लहसुन) chopped
- 1 tea spoon ginger (अदरक) chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh cream (ताजा क्रीम) (optional)
- Wash and soak the gram for 30 minutes.
- Boil some water in a pan.
- Add the spinach leaves and cook the leaves for a minute over a high flame till the leaves are cooked.
- Drain the leaves and when cool grind in a blender, remove and keep aside.
- Cook the dal, turmeric powder, chili powder and the salt in a pressure cooker.
- When the dal is cooked remove from the flame and keep aside( make sure the dal is dissolved in the water, if the water was not sufficient add some more water and cook the dal again in a pan, use a wooden spoon to mash the dal).
- Transfer the dal to a pan and add the spinach paste, mix thoroughly.
- Cook over a low flame for 2 minutes, remove from the flame and keep aside.
- Melt the butter in a pan . Add the garlic and fry for till the garlic turns light brown in color.
- Add the ginger and the asafetida and fry for a few seconds over a low flame
- Add the dal and mix thoroughly. Remove from the flame and serve hot garnished with cream.