Moong Dal Tarka is the most popular Moong Dal recipe at my house. Every family member in my home enjoys this delicious recipe. I love to serve this recipe with steamed rice and roti. Every other seasonal vegetable dish goes very well with this Moong Dal Tarka Recipe.
At home, I usually cook Arhar Dal, Dal Makhani, and Moong Dal. But I personally prefer Moong Dal due to its numerous health advantages over other dals. And most important of all is that it is very light on the stomach. Thus you can cook it almost every day.
Green gram split lentil is popularly known as Moong dal in Hindi (मूंगदाल). Mung Dal is a complete package full of essential vitamins like Vitamin C, Vitamin K. It also has minerals like iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, copper, zinc, and many more. Moong Dal has great nutritional value. It is low in calories and is a high source of protein, fiber, and antioxidants. It is light for the stomach. This makes it a perfect recipe for a sick person’s diet. So, these numerous benefits of Moong Dal make it a necessary element for healthy eating.
Mung bean (Vigna radiata) is a common food in India and China. Moong dal is also a popular food in Bangladesh, South East Asia, and western countries. It is popular for its detoxification qualities. Mung Dal refresh us mentality, alleviate heat stroke, and reduce swelling in the summer.
Sprout of mung is widely in use as a fresh salad vegetable. High levels of proteins, amino acids, oligosaccharides, and polyphenols in mung beans are the main contributors to the antioxidant, antimicrobial. Thus, this helps in reducing inflammation. Antitumor activities of this food help in the regulation of lipid metabolism.
Here are Some benefits of green mung dal:
- mung dal combats heart diseases.
- mung dal control diabetes level.
- moong dal sprouts help in losing bodyweight.
- mong dal have anti-cancer effects.
- mung dal sprouts are a good source of Vitamin C and K.
- mung dal boosts the immune system.
- Moong daal sprouts are a good source of folate (a salt or ester of folic acid).
- mung dal improves reproductive health.
Moong Dal Tarka is very easy to cook at home. Almost every Indian homemaker knows how to cook Moong Dal. Here in this recipe, I will tell you how to turn your regular Moong Dal in a fabulous and delicious recipe.
Lets immediately start cooking this delicious Moong Dal Tadka recipe. This recipe of Mung Dal flavored with spices, tomato and onion is very tasty and not at all sticky.
Moong Daal Recipe
for cooking moong dal
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter (घी)
- 2 pinch cumin seeds (जीरा)
- 1/2 inch finely chopped ginger (बारीक़ कटा हुआ अदरक)
- 1 piece chopped green chili (कटा हुआ हरी मिर्च)
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1 medium-size chopped onion (कटा हुआ प्याज)
- 1 medium-size chopped tomato (कटा हुआ टमाटर)
- 1 cup moong daal lentil (मूंग दाल)
- 3 cup water (पानी)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter (घी)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (जीरा)
- 3-4 chopped garlic cloves (कटा हुआ लहसुन का लौंग)
- 1 piece dry whole red chilies (सूखी साबुत लाल मिर्च)
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (हींग)
- fresh coriander leaves (ताजा धनिया पत्ती)
How to cook Moong Dal
- Wash and clean the lentils thoroughly and soak it in water for 15-20 minutes. Moong dal can also be cooked without soaking it. This dal can be made even after washing it quickly as it gets cooked very easily.
- First heat the cooker, add ghee and let ghee melt.
- When the ghee is hot, add cumin seeds. After cumin seeds get fried, add turmeric powder, finely chopped green chilies, finely chopped ginger, and fry the spices lightly.
- After frying the masala, add finely chopped onion and fry till the onions get translucent.
- When the onions become translucent, add finely chopped tomatoes, and fry the spices until the ghee starts separating from the spices.
- Now put the moong dal in spice and fry it for 1-2 minutes along with spice.
- Put 2 cups of water and salt in the dal, mix it. Close the lid of the cooker and cook till the pulse gets 1 whistle.
- Turn off the gas when the whistle is over. Open the lid when the pressure of the cooker gets released.
- Dal is ready, transfer the lentils in a bowl.
- In a griddle put a small spoon of ghee and heat it. When the ghee gets hot add cumin seeds.
- Next, add the garlic and whole red chili and fry for some seconds. As soon as the garlic turns golden, switch off the flame and don't let the garlic turn brown.
- Then add red chili powder and asafoetida in hot ghee, immediately and turn off the gas. Otherwise, the spices will get burnt.
- Stir quickly, pour this condiment mixture in the dal.
- Delicious moong dal is ready to decorate it with fresh coriander leaves. Serve it hot with chapati or rice.