Missi Roti is a spicy and healthy Punjabi and Rajasthani flatbread. We prepare it with wheat flour and gram flour. To enrich the flavor we also add spices in it. Traditionally, we prepare it in a clay stove, called Tandoor. Finally, we apply Desi Ghee or Butter over it. These flavorful flatbreads are very rich in carbohydrates, protein, and fat.
Being rich in protein and fat, it sometimes also causes acidity! Thus, to prevent it from stomach boating we add asafetida and ajwain in it. But, I also prefer adding Kasuri Meethi in it. Kasuri Meethi adds awesome flavor and aroma in it. And, it also helps in digesting. But you can add any or all spices, according to your preference.
Chopped Onions are also added to this recipe. Some people also prepare it without adding the onion. But, if you are not very specific about using onions. Then, preferably add it. The recipe that I am preparing here, is with onions.
It is a dish that you can easily serve with any curry recipe like Rajasthani Sev Tamatar ki Sabzi, Jaiphali Aloo, etc. This also goes very well with Dal Recipes like Maa ki Dal or Dal Makhani.
Here is a quick as an easy recipe of Missi Roti that I prepare it at my home. I will prepare this recipe over the gas stove. As like most of us, I am also not having Tandoor in my home.
So, let us start cooking our Missi Roti.
for making dough of Missi Roti
- 1 cup gram flour (बेसन)
- 2 cup whole wheat flour (गेहूं का आटा)
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onion (बारीक कटा हुआ प्याज़)
- 1 tablespoon dry fenugreek leaves (कसूरी मेथी) or chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा काटा हुआ धनिया पत्ती)
- 1 to 2 pieces chopped green chili (कटा हुआ हरी मिर्च)
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds (अजवाइन)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (हींग)
- 1/2 tablespoon salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 2/3 cup lukewarm water (गुनगुना पानी)
- 3 tablespoon oil (तेल)
- oil (तेल) or clarified butter (घी) as required
How to prepare dough for Missi Roti
- With the help of a strainer, sieve the gram flour and wheat flour. Then mix both of them with your hands.
- Then add chopped green chilly, chopped onion, and finely chopped fresh coriander leaves in it.
- Add roasted and crushed dry fenugreek leaves or chopped fresh coriander leaves as per your personal preference and availability.
- Also, add carom seeds, a pinch of asafoetida powder and salt to taste. Mix all the spices and flour in a large bowl. Then stir in the 1 tablespoon of oil in it.
- Now start adding lukewarm water in parts and knead to make a pliable, soft dough. Knead until the dough is smooth. The quantity of water to make dough depends on the quality of the flour, so always add water in parts.
- Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and allow it to rest for 30 minutes. As gram flour absorbs water in between thus after half an hour you will get a soft and smooth dough.
How to Make Missi Roti
- After 30 minutes remove the cover from the dough and divide it into medium size balls.
- Now take a dough ball and press it with between palms of your hands to make a flat ball from it.
- Lightly dust the rolling board with wheat flour. Then place this flat dough ball on the dusted rolling board. Roll it into a thick round Roti of about 6-7 " in diameter with the help of a rolling pin.
- Heat a Tava over medium heat for a few minutes until hot.
- Transfer the Roti over the hot Tava and wait till steam starts rising from it.
- When the bottom side gets partially cooked, flip the roti, and cook the other side too.
- Once the other side gets partially cooked, apply 1 teaspoon of melted butter or ghee on the top surface and flip it. Then apply another teaspoon of melted butter or ghee on the turned top surface and cook for about 2 minutes. Flip and cook the roti after every minute.
- Similarly prepare the rest of Missi Rotis, from balance dough balls.
- Serve the warm Missi Roti Immediately.