Pickle is a necessary side dish in all Indian meals. Raw Mango Pickle (aam ka achar in Hindi) is no doubt the most popular pickle in India. Every region has its own special recipe for making mango pickles. And even every family has their own favorite, special and secret recipes.
This mango pickles (aam ka achaar) is from Uttar Pradesh. Uttar Pradesh is a northern state of India. In Uttar Pradesh people often eat it with stuffed parathas. This dry Mango Pickle goes very well with Bathua Paratha, Palak Paratha, Aloo Matar Paratha, Gobhi Paratha, Aloo Paratha, etc.
Indian Cuisine is very famous for its spicy hot pickles. Indian’s make pickles from a variety of vegetables. These pickles differ in taste from region to region. With every pickle having its unique taste and flavor.
South Indian pickle tastes very different from a north Indian pickle. Every summer almost all homes are busy preparing these pickles. I love the North Indian version of mango pickles for their nice flavor and mustard oil taste.
With the start of the summer season, different kinds of mango pickles are prepared. During summer people also prepare Aam Panna recipe from the raw mangoes. Aam Panna is a drink that refreshes and combats the heat.
Tips for Mango Pickle Recipe
We prepare Aam Ka Achar – North Indian Green Mango Pickle in three phases. Preparation, Marination, and Seasoning. This dry mango pickle or Sookha Aam Ka Achar is undoubtedly most popular among all the variety of pickles.
The best part is this Sookha Aam Ka Achar has a low oil content. Thus it goes very well in lunchboxes without spilling of oil. As it has low oil content this it also gets spoiled easily. So be careful to dry it properly under the sun. If you do not dry it properly then it can become moldy. But do not over-dry as it then may become chewy.
So let us start preparing this delicious and Easy Mango Pickle Recipe.
to marinate raw mango
- 1 kilogram of raw mango (कच्चे आम) medium size
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1/2 cup salt (नमक)
Spices for Seasoning Mango Pickle
- 2 tablespoon red chili powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर) you can adjust it as per taste
- 2 teaspoon salt (नमक)
- 2 tablespoon fennel seeds (सौंफ)
- 2 tablespoon fenugreek seeds (मेथी)
- 2 teaspoon carom seeds (अजवाइन)
- 4 tablespoon mustard seeds (सरसों)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1 cup mustard oil (सरसों का तेल) to cover the Mangoes
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida (हींग)
For preparing dry mango pickle
- First, keep the raw mango soaked in water for ten to twelve hours.
- Now take out the mango from the water and wash it well and dry the mango water or clean it well.
- Then cut and remove the stem of mango. Now cut mangoes into long chunks.
Marination of the mango chunks
- Now add turmeric powder and salt to these mango chunks and keep them in a clean and dry glass container or ceramic pot for marination.
- Toss it daily, or run the mango chunks once every day with a clean and dried spoon. So that the mango chunks get marinated uniformly.
- In the seven to eight days, as salt slowly dissolves. You will see the juice coming out from mango pieces and the mangoes will become soft and the sour water will get separated from these mango chunks.
- Now remove the mango chunks but keep the sour water in the same container, we will use this water later in this recipe (drying time will be in days if you want to dry it with juice).
- Transfer these chunks of mango in a plate and put it under the sun throughout the day. These mango chunks will dry up under the sun and will shrink a little and will turn darker.
Preparing spice mix for mango pickle
- To prepare the masala for mango pickle. Cleanse the fennel seeds, carom seeds, fenugreek seeds, and yellow mustard seeds.
- Now put these spices in a grinder jar and grind them into a coarse powder.
- Further add red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt to the grind spice powder and mix well.
Seasoning - How to make mango pickle
- Now put oil in a steel vessel and heat it when the oil becomes hot, then turn off the gas and allow the oil to cool slightly.
- Now first add asafoetida, salt, and all the spices mixture to this oil and mix well.
- Also, add the sour water from the mangoes and dried mango slices to this oil.
- Mix well until the spices cover up on a piece of mangoes.
- Your mango dry pickle is ready. Fill it in a clean and dry glass or ceramic container keep it under the sun for 10 to 15 days.
- It will be worth eating after 10 to 15 days.
- And take special care to always use only a dry and clean spoon to pick the pickle for serving.
- Ensure to put the pickle under the sun in every 8 to 10 days. This will help to keep the pickles edible for a longer time.
- Keep it in a sterilized bottle to preserve it even for a year. Serve it as a side dish with curd rice/chapati.