Rice Pudding Recipe
Rice kheer is a traditional rice pudding made by simmering rice in milk along with nuts and saffron. A delicacy and enjoyed by everyone across India on various festivals and birthdays.
- ½ cup basmati rice (बासमती चावल)
- 2 liters of milk (दूध)
- 2-3 green cardamom powder (छोटी इलायची पाउडर)
- 8-10 almond blanched and chopped (छिला तथा काटा हुआ बादाम)
- 8-10 chopped cashew nut (काटा हुआ काजू)
- 1 cup sugar (चीनी)
- 1 pinch saffron (केसर)
- warm milk (गरम दूध) to soak saffron
- Wash and soak the rice for 20 minutes.
- Also, Soak saffron in 1 cup of milk.
How to cook rice pudding or Kheer
- Now, put the milk in a heavy bottom pot to boil. After the milk boils, extract the rice from the water and add the soaked rice to the milk.
- Now cook the rice on low flame till the milk thickens.
- Keep stirring occasionally. Otherwise, the milk will stick to the bottom of the vessel.
- Once the rice is cooked well, add cardamom powder, chopped cashews, and almonds. Also, add saffron milk to it.
- Cook until the milk becomes thick and only 1/4 of it remains. Now mix sugar in it, and cook while stirring continuously, till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Switch off the gas and let it cool down.
- When it cools down completely, then serve it in a bowl.