Keema Matar is a delicious semi-dry curry of minced mutton and green peas. It is a quick and easy recipe that you can serve in lunch or dinner. It goes very well with any Indian flatbread or even with steamed rice.
I usually cook this recipe when I am in a hurry but can’t resist the mutton recipe at home. My family also loves to have Stuffed Keema Paratha and even Keema Sandwich recipe. I also use this same recipe as stuffing for the Keema Sandwich recipe. But, for Stuffed Keema Paratha recipe I do not add green peas in it.
My family prefers mutton than chicken. Thus during most of my family gatherings, I prepare Kabab recipe, Handi Mutton, Keema Matar, and Mutton Rara Recipe. Adding these dishes in my menu helps me to use both mutton pieces with bones and boneless mutton pieces (Gol Boti).
To keep the party manageable I prefer serving these recipes along with steamed rice and chapati. But on specific demand, I also prepare Biryani recipes.
Returning to our Keema Matar Recipe, you can prepare it very easily at home. For preparing this recipe you can use both fresh green peas or the frozen one. If you are using frozen one just defrost them and add it following the below steps.
So, here is the quick and easy Keema Matar recipe
Keema Matar Recipe
to prevent mince mutton from clumping
- 500 grams minced mutton (बकरे के मांस का कीमा)
- 2 cup water (पानी)
for Keema Matar Recipe
- 3 tablespoon clarified butter (घी)
- 1/2 cup green peas (हरा मटर)
- 2 pieces Indian bay leaf (तेज पत्ता)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (जीरा)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (काली मिर्च)
- 5-6 pieces green cardamom (छोटी इलायची)
- 4 pieces of chopped onion (कटा हुआ प्याज) medium size
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste (अदरक का पेस्ट)
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste (लहसुन का पेस्ट)
- 2 pieces green chilies (हरी मिर्च) chopped
- 2/3 cup tomato puree (टमाटर का गाढ़ा गूदा) medium size
- 2 tablespoon coriander powder (धनिया पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder (कश्मीरी लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder (जीरा पाउडर)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder (गरम मसाला पाउडर)
for garnishing Keema Matar
- fresh coriander leaves (ताजा धनिया पत्ती)
How to prevent mince mutton from clumping?
- It’s usually noted that the minced meat form lump and gets clumps during cooking. To prevent this add almost 2 cups of water to the minced meat and mix well. This will prevent minced meat to get crumbled during cooking.
How to Make Keema Matar?
- Put clarified butter in a nonstick pan over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon of cumin seed into it followed by bay leaves, green cardamom, and black peppercorn.
- As soon as the spices start to crackle and chopped onions into it and sauté stirring occasionally till the onions become light brown.
- When the onions turn brown add ginger and garlic paste to it, mix well, and again sauté continuously stirring for at least 1- 2 minutes.
- Now add chopped green chilies and tomato puree again sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Then add turmeric powder, coriander powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, cumin powder, and salt to taste and cook for 3-4 minutes so that the spices get cooked and oil starts separating.
- Add minced mutton to it and blend it with the fried spices stirring it strongly and mixing it with the fried spices. Cover the pan, turn the flame to low and let it cook for 20 minutes on low heat, so that the mutton gets cooked well. If the water gets evaporated you can add a little water too.
- You may have noticed that we have not added water to this recipe yet. This is because we have already added enough water in minced mutton to stop it from coagulation and we have added minced mutton along with water in the previous stage.
- After cooking for 20 minutes on low heat add green peas to it and mix well and again cook covered for 10 minutes on low heat.
- You will observe oil again starts separating from the recipe. Now add garam masala powder mix well and remove from heat.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Serve hot with Rumali Roti or Chapati