Kathal ki Sabji is a delicious Indian Jackfruit Curry Recipe. We prepare this Jackfruit Curry with raw Jackfruit. Though you need to be patient to cook this recipe. But the outcome is just delicious.
Jackfruit is a seasonal fruit. The raw fruit is easily available in the spring season. We call Jackfruit as Kathal in Hindi. It is a vegetarian replacement for meat. I prepare this recipe in aromatic Indian Spice. If you prepare this curry in my way, trust me it tastes no less than your chicken or meat curry. This Jackfruit Curry recipe tastes like Punjabi Dhaba Style Mutton Curry.
Kathal or raw Jackfruit is available in India from March to June. March is a festive season for Holi in India. People cook this recipe on Holi in the replacement of Mutton. This luscious recipe goes perfectly with any Indian flatbreads or steamed rice.
You can cook Jackfruit curry as per your desired consistency. If you want to enjoy with Roti or Paratha or Naan make the gravy thicker. Or prepare a Dry Kathal Ki Sabji evaporating and simmering it over a medium flame. While you can easily also make thin gravy for enjoying it with steamed rice.
How to prevent Jackfruit from discoloring
This is a very easy Kathal ki Sabji. Although cooking Jackfruit is very easy. Peeling and cutting Kathal for Kathal’s recipe is a job of patience. I personally prefer cutting it at home. As jackfruit becomes discolored very soon after cutting. But you can also get it peeled by your vegetable vendor. If you are buying it from a mall where this type of service is not available. Then I am also sharing here how to cut jackfruit. If you bought peeled Jackfruit, then rinse them in water and soak the cut pieces into the water too. This will prevent it from discoloring.
How to prepare Jackfruit Curry
To prepare a delicious Kathal ki Sabji/Jackfruit Curry which tastes like mutton we use lots of spices. Firstly, we use the whole Garam Masala. Of course tomato and onion for the base of the gravy. Then cook it along with coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, etc.
Here is the most delicious Kathal Ki Sabji/Jackfruit Curry which tastes like Mutton curry. In this recipe, I have kept the gravy on the thicker side. If you want a bit thin gravy then extend the amount of water in it.
Kathal Ki Sabji Recipe
for cutting raw jackfruit
- 500 grams baby jackfruit (कच्चा कटहल) - meat
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil (सरसों का तेल)
for whole garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (जीरा)
- 2 pieces Indian bay leaf (तेज पत्ता)
- 6 pieces peppercorns (काली मिर्च के दाने)
- 4 pieces cloves (लौंग)
- 2 pieces of green cardamom (छोटी इलायची)
- 1 piece black cardamom (बड़ी इलायची)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (दालचीनी)
- 1-2 pieces dry whole red chilies (सूखी साबुत लाल मिर्च) or as desired
for jackfruit curry
- 1/2 cup oil (तेल)
- 2 piece grated onion (कद्दूकस किया हुआ प्याज़)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger (बारीक़ कटा हुआ अदरक)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic cloves (कटा हुआ लहसुन का लौंग)
- 1 cup chopped tomato (कटा हुआ टमाटर)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder (जीरा पाउडर
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder (धनिया पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 2-3 piece chopped green chili (कटा हुआ हरी मिर्च) or as desired
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder (गरम मसाला पाउडर)
- 1 cup water (पानी)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा काटा हुआ धनिया पत्ती)
How to cut Raw Jackfruit
- Raw jackfruit exudes sticky white latex (milky gum-like substance) which doesn't leave your hands easily. Apply mustard oil well in your hands, chopping board, and on the knife. The oil will prevent the latex from sticking to your hands and utensils. While cutting the jackfruit, you can put oil in your hands, in between, otherwise, it may cause itching and stickiness in your hands.
- Cut and remove the stem from raw jackfruit. Now cut the baby jackfruit in half lengthwise, then again cut each half lengthwise piece to quarter in length.
- The jackfruit contains a center stalk that is not edible. Using the knife remove the center stalk from all the pieces and discard the hard middle section of the jackfruit as it doesn't cook.
- After removing the center stalk, cut each quarter into a small 1-inch piece approx. Now using the oiled knife, trim away the thorny skin.
- Cut the skinned fruit into further small pieces of 1-inch cubes.
How to prepare Jackfruit Curry
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and fry skinned jackfruit cubes a high flame, after light brown, remove them and put them aside.
- Turn the flame to medium and add cumin seeds in this oil when cumin seeds begin to crack add bay leaves followed by peppercorns, cloves, green cardamom, black cardamom, cinnamon stick, and whole red chilies and saute for a few seconds.
- Combine chopped onion and saute them till they turn brown. When the onion has turned brown add garlic and ginger then add tomato along with salt to taste and fry until oil separates.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala then mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, add green chilies and jackfruit, run it and cook well for 5-6 minutes in low flame.
- Transfer it to the pressure cooker then add a cup of water and cook it on high flame till 1 whistle.
- As soon as the whistle comes, turn the flame to low and let it cook for another 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
How to Garnish Kathal Ki Sabji
- When the pressure gets released, remove jackfruit curry from the pressure cooker. Garnish with green coriander and serve hot.
- Serve hot with chapati or steamed rice.