Kathal Ki Sabji Recipe
Simple and easy to make kathal ki sabzi made in a pressure cooker. Kathal or Jackfruit is actually a summer fruit that tastes delicious when cooked in a north indian style spicy gravy. It is considered as a replacement of meat and also cooked in almost similar way.Learn Kathal Ki Sabzi Recipe - a delicious and spicy gravy prepared with kathal/ raw jackfruit, cooked in a spicy tomato and onion gravy.
Servings: 4 servings
for chopping raw jackfruit
- 500 grams baby jackfruit (कच्चा कटहल) - meat
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil (सरसों का तेल)
for whole garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (जीरा)
- 2 pieces bay leaf (तेज पत्ता)
- 6 pieces peppercorns (काली मिर्च के दाने)
- 4 pieces cloves (लौंग)
- 2 pieces green cardamom (छोटी इलायची)
- 1 pieces black cardamom (बडी इलायची)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (दालचीनी)
- 1-2 pieces whole red chilies (खड़ा लाल मिर्च) or as desired
for jackfruit curry
- 1/2 cup oil (तेल)
- 2 piece grated onion (कद्दूकस किया हुआ प्याज़)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger (बारीक़ कटा हुआ अदरक)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic cloves (कटा हुआ लहसुन का लौंग)
- 1 cup chopped tomato (कटा हुआ टमाटर)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder (जीरा पाउडर
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder (धनिया पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 2-3 piece chopped green chili (कटा हुआ हरी मिर्च) or as desired
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder (गरम मसाला पाउडर)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा काटा हुआ धनिया पत्ती)
How to chop Raw Jackfruit
- Raw jackfruit exudes sticky white latex (milky gum-like substance) which doesn't leave your hands easily. Apply mustard oil well in your hands, chopping board and on the knife. The oil will prevent the latex from sticking to your hands and utensils. While cutting the jackfruit, you can put oil in your hands, in between, otherwise it may cause itching and stickiness in your hands.
- Cut and remove stem from raw jackfruit . Now cut the baby jackfruit in half lengthwise, then again cut each half length wise piece to quarter in length.
- The jackfruit contains a center stalk which is not edible. Using the knife remove the center stalk from all the pieces and discard the hard middle section of the jackfruit as it doesn't cook.
- After removing center stalk cut each quarter into small 1 inch piece approx. Now using oiled knife, trim away the thorny skin.
- Cut the skinned fruit into further small pieces of 1 inch cubes.
How to prepare Jackfruit Curry
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan and fry skinned jackfruit cubes a high flame, after light brown, remove them and put them aside.
- Turn the flame to medium and add cumin seeds in this oil when cumin seeds begin to crack add bay leafs followed by peppercorns, cloves, green cardamom, black cardamom, cinnamon stick and whole red chilies and saute for a few seconds.
- Combine chopped onion and saute them till they turn brown. When the onion has turned brown add garlic and ginger then add tomato along with salt to taste and fry until oil separates.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric and garam masala and mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, add green chilies and jackfruit, run it and cook well for 5-6 minutes in low flame.
- Transfer it to pressure cooker and adding a cup of water and cook it on high flame till 1 whistle.
- As soon as the whistle comes, turn the flame to low and let it cook for another 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
How to Garnish Kathal Ki Sabji
- When the pressure gets released, remove jackfruit curry from pressure cooker. Garnish with green coriander and serve hot.
- Serve hot with chapati or steamed rice.