Jalebi recipe is a very popular Indian street food. It is usually served in breakfast along with Poori and Hing Aloo recipe. Many Indian families go and buy this Jalebi from these roadside restaurants and sweet shops to consume it in their breakfast.
for Jalebi Batter
- 200 grams of refined flour (मैदा)
- 1 tablespoon gram flour (बेसन)
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast (सूखा खमीर)
- ½ teaspoon sugar (चीनी)
- water (पानी) as required
for frying Jalebi
- oil (तेल) or clarified butter (घी)
for sugar syrup
- 400 grams of sugar (चीनी)
- 1 cup water (पानी)
- 1 pinch saffron (केसर)
How to make Jalebi batter
- Mix sugar and dry yeast, add 2 teaspoons of lukewarm water to it. Now keep it like this for 10 minutes, so that the yeast activates.
- Sieve the refined flour and gram flour in a large utensil. Then add water and beat it well by hand. You have to make a thick batter like that of pakoras.
- Now add the activated yeast in the refined flour and gram flour batter then mix them well.
- Keep them in a warm place for 6 to 8 hours. In 8 hours, the mixture increases and becomes slightly thicker. This mixture is completely ready to make jalebi.
How to make Sugar Syrup for Jalebi
- To make syrup, mix sugar and water and put it on the gas to boil. While boiling, stir the syrup continuously, until the sugar dissolves completely in water.
- Once the sugar dissolves, cook it for another 5 -6 minutes. The Sugar syrup should be thin, and should not form any string. If the syrup turns thick and starts forming a string, then add some water and boil it again for a while, to make a thin syrup.
- Now add saffron in the syrup and mix it well. Then turn off the gas and keep the sugar syrup aside.
How to make Jalebi
- Now put ghee or oil in a flat frying pan and heat it on medium flame.
- Transfer the Jalebi mixture in a thick plastic packet or a Jalebi-making-bottle. If you are using a plastic packet, then make a small hole in one corner of the plastic packet.
- Then press the packet or bottle that is having Jalebi batter and pour the jalebi batter into the hot oil. Form a spiral shape with the batter, while pouring it in the oil.
- For one Jalebi, make two circles, then extend the end of the batter to join both the circles. Then further extend this end for making the next Jalebi in oil.
- In this way make a spiral string of Jalebi in the oil. Make some more spiral string of jalebi, in the available space in the oil.
- Now, fry it on the medium flame till the Jalebi turns golden. When it turns golden from one side, then flip it and cook until it becomes golden from the other side as well.
- Once the Jalebi turns golden from both the side remove it from the oil and immediately transfer them in the sugar syrup. Make sure the sugar syrup is lukewarm at this time but should not be hot.
- Dip the jalebi, by pressing them in the syrup. It is necessary to press the Jalebi down in the syrup; else the Jalebi will start floating and will remain dry.
- Let them submerged in the sugar syrup for 3-4 minutes. Then take it out on a plate and serve hot Jalebi with Yogurt or Rabri.