Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani is the king of all biryanies. It is a mixture of original Andhra cuisine and Hyderabadi cuisine, having Mughlai influence. Basically, there are two kinds of Biryani: Pakki Biryani and Kachchi Biryani.
Today I’m going to share how to make Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani or Kachchi Biryani. This is a biryani where raw marinated meat placed on the bottom of the pot and then layer with par boiled rice. Then I will seal and cook it on a low flame for an hour, so that the rice is cooked by steam generated in air tight environment. This entire process is DUM method of cooking. As a result we will get juicy and succulent pieces of meat that melts in your mouth. The rice grain is also well separated and cooked nicely.
Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani Recipe
Ingredients for hyderabadi biryani
- 750 gram basmati rice (बासमती चावल)
- 1 kilogram mutton (बकरे का मांस)
for brown onion
- 5 pieces chopped onion (कटा हुआ प्याज)
- 1/4 cup refined oil (रिफाइंड तेल)
- 1/4 cup mustard oil (सरसों का तेल)
Marination for hyderabadi biryani recipe
- 3 teaspoon red chili powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 3 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste (अदरक-लहसुन का पेस्ट)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 4 tablespoon clarified butter (घी) or oil
- 2 cup curd (दही)
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves (ताजा धनिया पत्ती)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves (पुदिना पत्ता)
Whole spices for rice
- 5-6 Gram green chilies (हरी मिर्च)
- 4-5 pieces cinnamon stick (दालचीनी)
- 1 pieces black cardamom (बडी इलायची)
- 3-4 pieces green cardamom (छोटी इलायची)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (शाह जीरा)
- 1/4 teaspoon kewra essence (केवड़ा का इत्र)
- 8-9 pieces cloves (लौंग)
- water (पानी)
- 1/2 cup fried onion (तला हुआ प्याज़)
- 2 Pcs lemon (नींबू)
Preparation for hyderabadi biryani
fried onions for hyderabadi biryani
- Preparation of brown onion is a very important step for preparing mutton rara. In mutton rara recipe the mutton gets fried for approximately 40 minutes. Thus if we start the recipe with frying onion first and continue to cook onions till the end of recipe, the onions will get burnt and the taste of the recipe will get bitter.
- Slice the onions into long fine pieces.
- Pour half cup refined oil and half cup mustard oil in a heavy bottom pan and put it on medium flame. When the oil starts to smoke add the chopped onions. Fry the onions stirring occasionally till they turn golden in color.
- As soon as onions turn golden drain the onions from oil and keep it in a kitchen towel. We will use it later in our recipes.
How to Marinate mutton for hyderabadi biryani recipe
- Wash and clean the mutton drain the excess water.
- In a blender add shahi jeera,cardamom,cinnamon sticks and cloves blend to a fine powder.
- In a large pot or vessel add ginger garlic paste, salt,red chilli powder, turmeric powder, ground masala powder, thick yogurt, and mutton. Mix well.
- Add the fried onions and half of the oil to the mutton, add coriander leaves and mint leaves Let the mutton marinate for atleast 2-3 hours.
Cooking rice for hyderabadi biryani
- Measure rice. Wash and clean the rice by washing twice or thrice.
- Soak the rice in a wide vessel for atleast 30-45 minutes.
- In a vessel boil water add shahi jeera, cardamom cinamon,green chillies and salt as the water begins to boil, add the rice.
- Squeezed lemon to the boiling water. Once the rice is half done strain the rice. Place a colander on top of the empty vessel. Will keep the water for later use.
How to make hyderabadi biryani
- Add the rice to the marinated mutton add the fried onions,chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Add saffron milk on top add the oil on top.
- Cover the lid and place the hot water vessel on top. cook the mutton biryani on medium flame for first 15 minutes then on low flame for another 20-30 minutes.
- Serve hot with onion raita.