Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani – Authentic Hyderabadi biryani is Biryani of Gosht. Gosht is an Urdu word for Mutton or Lamb meat. Nowadays people also make Hyderabadi Biryani with chicken. In this recipe, we will cook authentic Hyderabadi Kachchi Biryani recipe.
Types of Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani
Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani is the king of all biryanis. There are two kinds of Mutton Biryani. Pakki Biryani and Kacchi Biryani.
In Pakki Biriyani Recipe we cook Mutton and rice separately. Then combine them together.
In Kacchi Biryani, we cook the marinated meat along with half-cooked rice. You need to have some patience in preparing Kacchi Biryani. This patience gives you a delicious aromatic Hyderabadi Kachche Gosht Ki Biryani.
How to prepare Kachchi Biryani Recipe
Today I’m sharing with you how to make Hyderabadi Kachche Gosht Ki Biryani. In this biryani, we will place raw marinated meat at the bottom of the pot. Then I will layer it with parboiled rice. After this, I will seal and cook it on a low flame for an hour.
This way we cook the rice and marinated meat in the steam generated, in this airtight environment. Thus this process retains the entire aroma in the recipe. We call this entire process the DUM method of cooking. As a result, we will get juicy and succulent pieces of meat. These juicy meat pieces melt in your mouth. Also, the rice grains are well separated and cooked nicely.
Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani Recipe
Ingredients for Hyderabadi biryani
- 750 grams of basmati rice (बासमती चावल)
- 1 kilogram of mutton (बकरे का मांस)
for brown onion
- 5 pieces of chopped onion (कटा हुआ प्याज)
- 1/4 cup refined oil (रिफाइंड तेल)
- 1/4 cup mustard oil (सरसों का तेल)
For Marination of Mutton
- 3 teaspoon red chili powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 3 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste (अदरक-लहसुन का पेस्ट)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 4 tablespoon clarified butter (घी) or oil
- 2 cup curd (दही)
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves (ताजा धनिया पत्ती)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves (पुदीना पत्ता)
Whole spices for Rice
- 5-6 Gram green chilies (हरी मिर्च)
- 4-5 pieces cinnamon stick (दालचीनी)
- 1 piece black cardamom (बड़ी इलायची)
- 3-4 pieces green cardamom (छोटी इलायची)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (शाह जीरा)
- 1/4 teaspoon kewra essence (केवड़ा का इत्र)
- 8-9 pieces cloves (लौंग)
- water (पानी)
- 1/2 cup fried onion (तला हुआ प्याज़)
- 2 Pcs lemon (नींबू)
Preparation for Hyderabadi biryani
fried onions for Hyderabadi biryani
- The preparation of brown onion is a very important step for preparing mutton biryani. In the mutton biryani recipe, the mutton gets cooked for approximately 40 minutes. Thus, if we start the recipe with frying onion first and continue to cook onions till the end of the recipe, the onions will get burnt and the taste of the recipe will get bitter.
- Slice the onions into long fine pieces.
- Pour half cup refined oil and half cup mustard oil in a heavy bottom pan and put it on medium flame. When the oil starts to smoke add the chopped onions. Fry the onions stirring occasionally till they turn golden in color.
- As soon as onions turn golden drain the onions from oil and keep it in a kitchen towel. We will use it later in our recipes.
How to Marinate mutton
- Wash and clean the mutton drain the excess water.
- In a blender add shahi jeera, cardamom, cinnamon sticks, and cloves blend to a fine powder.
- In a large pot or vessel add ginger-garlic paste, salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, ground masala powder, thick yogurt, and mutton. Mix well.
- Add the fried onions and half of the oil to the mutton, add coriander leaves and mint leaves Let the mutton marinate for at least 2-3 hours.
How to Cook Rice for Biryani
- Measure rice. Wash and clean the rice by washing twice or thrice.
- Soak the rice in a wide vessel for at least 30-45 minutes.
- In a vessel boil water add shahi jeera, cardamom cinnamon, green chilies, and salt as the water begins to boil, add the rice.
- Squeezed lemon to the boiling water. Once the rice is half done strain the rice. Place a colander on top of the empty vessel. Will keep the water for later use.
How to make Hyderabadi biryani
- Add the rice to the marinated mutton add the fried onions, chopped coriander leaves, and mint leaves.
- Add saffron milk on top add the oil on top.
- Cover the lid and place the hot water vessel on top. cook the mutton biryani on a medium flame for the first 15 minutes then on low flame for another 20-30 minutes.
- Serve hot with onion raita.