Handi Gosht is ancient dry stew, made up of mutton. Bite-size mutton grilled in nursing onion based sauce, fine flavored with ginger, garlic paste, and black paper. Handi Gosht is a thick creamy meat curry served with rice, roti or nan along with the green salad.
Servings: 4 People
for whole garam masala
- 8-10 pieces whole red chilies (खड़ा लाल मिर्च)
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds (धनिया)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (जीरा)
- 3-4 pieces bay leaf (तेज पत्ता)
- 2 pieces green cardamom (छोटी इलायची)
- 1 piece black cardamom (बडी इलायची)
- 2 inch cinnamon stick (दालचीनी)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (काली मिर्च)
- 7-8 pieces cloves (लौंग)
for marination of mutton
- 750 grams mutton (बकरे का मांस)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 2 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste (अदरक-लहसुन का पेस्ट)
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder (कश्मीरी लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 2 tablespoon hung thick curd (लटका गाढ़ा दही)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (नमक)
for preparation of handi mutton
- 2 piece chopped onion (कटा हुआ प्याज) medium size
- 10 pieces chopped garlic cloves (कटा हुआ लहसुन का लौंग)
- 1/3 cup oil (तेल)
- 1 cup water (पानी)
- 2 tablespoon fresh cream (ताजा क्रीम)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा काटा हुआ धनिया पत्ती)
- 1 piece slit green chili (चीरा हुआ लाल मिर्च)
- lemon wedge (नींबू का टुकड़ा)
How to prepare garam masala for handi mutton
- Heat a pan on medium flame and then add all garam masala on pan and roast the whole garam masala for around a minute till aroma of garam masala comes out.
- Remove the garam masala from heat and let it cool down, then add it to mixer grinder and coarsely grind the roasted whole garam masala and keep aside in a bowl.
How to marinate mutton
- Wash the mutton pieces thoroughly and strain excess water.
- Take a mixing bowl with washed mutton pieces and add coarsely grind the roasted whole garam masala, ½ teaspoon salt, kashmiri red chili powder, curd, ginger-garlic paste, and turmeric powder to the mutton pieces and mix well and keep aside for 30 minutes for marination.
How to make handi mutton
- Heat oil in medium flame a Handi (or pressure cooker) and fry chopped onion.
- When onions are golden brown, add chopped garlic cloves and again fry for a minute.
- Now add marinated of mutton, mix and fry well for 3-4 minute stirring continuously.
- Then, add 1 cups of water again mix well then cover and cook till meat is tender.
- If you are cooking in handi keep the covered and cook for around 45 minutes in low heat. If pressure cooker is used then cover the lid of pressure cooker and cook it on medium heat for 4 whistles of cooker.
- After the mutton gets tender open the cover stir gently and again cook till gravy gets thick and oil starts separating from the meat.
- Now add fresh cream, mix well and turn the flame to low and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
What to serve with handi mutton
- Serve hot with chapati, paratha or nan garnishing it with fresh coriander leaves, green chili and lemon.