Handi Gosht or Handi Mutton is easy to prepare Mutton Recipe. It is a single pot Lamb Strew or Mutton Strew. This recipe produces a sumptuous Mutton Curry. Traditionally we cook this Mutton Handi recipe in earthen Handi over a low flame on earthen Chulha. Handi is a deep and wide-mouthed cooking vessel made from clay. Chulha is a U-shape mud stove. Chulha is prepared from bricks and clay. People burn wood or Cow Dung Cakes in it for energy.
Usually, we cook this Mutton Curry recipe during the picnic. In India, we also cook Handi Gosht in some of the Durga Mandir and Kali Mandir, where we offer this mutton recipe to Maa Durga or Maa Kali. During the picnic usually, people arrange bricks in U-shape to prepare a temporary Chulha. Then they cook this recipe over a wood flame.
This Handi Mutton recipe is very popular in Uttar Pradesh and the Bihar state of India. A similar type of Mutton Recipe is very popular in Punjabi Dhabha. Which they call Dhabe-Da-Meat. While the gravy of Punjabi Dhaba Style Mutton curry has a thick consistency. The gravy of Handi Mutton is light and thin.
We can prepare this Mutton Handi with minimum effort. It is an “anyone can cook” recipe. Even if you do not know cooking at all. Then also this Handi Gosht turns delicious. All that we require is Gosht (Lamb Meat or Mutton in Urdu is called Gosht). A little curd, onion, and some spices. Yes, of course, a Handi too. But if you are cooking it at home and you do not have Handi. Then you can also use your pressure cooker or any other deep and wide mouth pan.
Come let’s start cooking this Easy Handi Gosht recipe with minimum effort. Here is how to make Handi Mutton at home.
for whole garam masala
- 8-10 pieces dry whole red chilies (सूखी साबुत लाल मिर्च)
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds (साबुत धनिया)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (जीरा)
- 3-4 pieces Indian bay leaf (तेज पत्ता)
- 2 pieces of green cardamom (छोटी इलायची)
- 1 piece black cardamom (बड़ी इलायची)
- 2 inch of cinnamon stick (दालचीनी)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (काली मिर्च)
- 7-8 pieces cloves (लौंग)
for marination of mutton
- 750 grams mutton (बकरे का मांस)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 2 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste (अदरक-लहसुन का पेस्ट)
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder (कश्मीरी लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 2 tablespoon hung thick curd (लटका गाढ़ा दही)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (नमक)
for preparation of handi mutton
- 2 piece chopped onion (कटा हुआ प्याज) medium size
- 10 pieces chopped garlic cloves (कटा हुआ लहसुन का लौंग)
- 1/3 cup oil (तेल)
- 1 cup water (पानी)
- 2 tablespoon fresh cream (ताजा क्रीम)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा काटा हुआ धनिया पत्ती)
- 1 piece slit green chili (चीरा हुआ हरी मिर्च)
- lemon wedge (नींबू का टुकड़ा)
How to prepare garam masala for Handi Mutton
- Heat a pan on medium flame and then add all garam masala on pan and roast the whole garam masala for around a minute till the aroma of garam masala comes out.
- Remove the garam masala from heat and let it cool down, then add it to a mixer grinder and coarsely grind the roasted whole garam masala and keep aside in a bowl.
How to marinate mutton
- Wash the mutton pieces thoroughly and strain excess water.
- Take a mixing bowl with washed mutton pieces and add coarsely grind the roasted whole garam masala, ½ teaspoon salt, Kashmiri red chili powder, curd, ginger-garlic paste, and turmeric powder to the mutton pieces and mix well and keep aside for 30 minutes for marination.
How to make Handi Gosht
- Heat oil in medium flame a Handi (or pressure cooker) and fry chopped onion.
- When onions are golden brown, add chopped garlic cloves and again fry for a minute.
- Now add marinated of mutton, mix and fry well for 3-4 minutes stirring continuously.
- Then, add 1 cup of water, again mix it well. Then cover and cook till the meat is tender.
- If you are cooking in handi keep covered and cook for around 45 minutes on low heat. If the pressure cooker is used then cover the lid of the pressure cooker and cook it on medium heat for 4 whistles of the cooker.
- After the mutton gets tender open the cover stir gently and again cook till the gravy gets thick and oil starts separating from the meat.
- Now add fresh cream, mix well and turn the flame to low and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
What to serve with Handi Mutton
- Serve hot with chapati, paratha or nan garnishing it with fresh coriander leaves, green chili, and lemon.