Gurer Sandesh Recipe
Gurer Sandesh is a seasonal silky smooth melt in mouth Bengali sweet delicacy available only during winter (November to January) season in Bengal. Here is an easy and delicious recipe with goodness of date palm jaggery cooked in Bengali flavor.
- 1 cup Indian cottage cheese (पनीर)
- 1/3 cup date palm jaggery (खजूर गुड़)
- 1 pinch green cardamom powder (छोटी इलायची पाउडर optional
- 2 tablespoon date palm jaggery (खजूर गुड़)
How to make date palm jaggery sandesh
- Crumble date palm jaggery in a bowl.
- Put Indian cottage cheese and crumbled date palm jaggery in a mixer grinder jar and grind to make a smooth paste for at least 5 minutes. If you want you can also add 1 pinch of green cardamom powder.
- Remove the mixture from the grinder jar and transfer it to a non-stick pan and cook it continuously stirring on low flame, you will observe the mixture becomes sticky.
- Cook till you get a uniform thick consistency and the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Remove the mixture from flame, cool down and then with the heel of your palm or the base of a flat metal bowl mash the mixture , to a uniform paste. Mash for at least 5 minutes!
- Take a small portion of the dough sufficient to make a small lemon size ball. Roll it in your palm. Then roll this ball between your palm to make balls then press it between your palm gently to form a thick circle shape.
- In the center of the circle gently make a light deep dent by pressing it with your thumb and place it in a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining dough to make rest sandesh.
How to Garnish Gurer Sandesh
- Take 2 tablespoon of date palm jaggery in non stick pan and heat it on low flame continuously stirring it till it turns into thick liquid.
- As soon a the date palm jaggery turns into liquid. Take one spoon of this liquid from pan and drop it in the dent of each sandesh to fill it up.
- Keep it at room temperature for couple of hours before serving and enjoy!
- You can refrigerate and use it within 2-3 days.