Gujiya is a traditional deep-fry pastry. You can easily identify Gujiya Recipe by its unique half-moon shape. Usually, we cook this recipe in festivals like Holi and Diwali. We prepare the outer layer from refined flour or Maida. Which is crispy and flaky. We prepare the stuffing from Mawa or Khoya along with sugar, and nuts. This gives it a very rich, yet mildly sweet taste.
Some also dip this sweet dumpling in sugar syrup. You can also do so. This is a popular way of preparing this recipe in Rajasthan. As l prefer the mild sweetness. So, I will not dip this in the sugar syrup. But if you prefer you can dip these Gujiya prepared from my recipe, into sugar syrup too. In this recipe, I have also shared the method of dipping these Gujiyas in sugar syrup.
Gujiya is prepared from a variety of fillings. In Gujarat, they fill it with semolina, dry coconut, nuts, and call it Ghughra. Stuffing of Karanji in Maharashtra is of coconut, milk, and poppy seeds. In Goa, it is prepared from coconut and jaggery. And they call it Nevris in Goa. The filling of Kajjikayalu of Andhra Pradesh is of dry coconut and semolina.
Here is the delicious traditional method of preparing Gujiya Recipe at home.
for the dough
- 1 cup refined flour (मैदा)
- 3 tablespoon clarified butter (घी)
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water (गुनगुना पानी) to mix
for the filling
- 1 cup khoya (खोया) or Mava
- 1/2 cup sugar powder (चीनी पाउडर)
- 1/2 teaspoon green cardamom powder (छोटी इलायची पाउडर)
- 10 pieces almond (बादाम) or as per your choice
- 10 pieces cashew nut (काजू) or as per your choice
- 10 pieces pistachio (पिस्ता) or as per your choice
- 1/2 tablespoon raisins (किशमिश) or as per your choice
- clarified butter (घी) -for deep frying
for the syrup (optional for mild sweet lovers)
- 2 cup sugar (चीनी)
- 1.75 cup water (पानी)
How to Make Dough for Gujiya
- Take a pan and heat the clarified butter to melt on low flame. Cook it till it melts (do not overheat it, as we just need melting clarified butter to prepare the dough).
- Take refined flour in a bowl pour the melted clarified butter on it and rub the ghee with the flour. then add water in parts and begin to knead. Knead into a stiff dough with water.
- Cover the dough with a moist cloth and leave it to rest at least 30 minutes.
How to Make Gujiya Stuffing
- Blanch the almond then chop the dry fruits (almond, cashew nut, pistachio, and raisins) and keep aside.
- Heat a pan on low flame and add the crumbled or grated khoya to it.
- Saute the khoya stirring continuously over medium heat till it looks slightly fried and aroma comes out.
- Take off the heat and when it cools, add the sugar, green cardamom powder, and chopped dry fruits and mix well.
- Check the taste and add more sugar if you prefer.
How to Make Gujiya
- Divide the dough in equal parts, shape it into a log, and slice it into equal parts. Each part should be sufficient to make 4-inch size poori.
- Roll each part in your palm to make balls and place all the balls in some bowl and cover it with a moist cloth.
- Dust the rolling board lightly with some flour. Roll each ball with the rolling pin to a small circle of around 4-inch diameter.
- Apply water all over the circumference edge with your fingertip
- Add about 1 Tbsp of the filling on one side of the poori keeping the edges empty, do not add too much of filling as it will be difficult to shape it and Gujiya may break during frying.
- Carefully bring the edges together by folding both the edges to make a half-moon-shaped structure. Gently press the edges and seal it. You can use a little more water while sealing the edges.
- Twist the edges to form a design pattern or use a Gujiya cutter or pizza cutter to remove the extra edges.
- Keep the assembled Gujiya under the moist cloth so that the skin of Gujiya doesn't dry up. Repeat the procedure with the remaining dough, to assemble rest Gujiyas.
How to Fry Gujiyas
- Heat the clarified butter in a kadhai or pan on a medium flame for deep frying Gujiyas. To check if the clarified butter is hot enough put a pinch of dough in it. If it comes up briskly and quickly the clarified butter is sufficiently warm to fry the Gujiyas. If the dough sits at the bottom you should wait for clarified butter to heat up.
- When the clarified butter is hot enough gently slid the Gujiyas in ghee. Just add as many Gujiyas as fit in comfortably and turn the heat to low flame after 2 minutes of adding Gujiyas in ghee.
- Turn them over and carefully to fry till golden brown on all sides.
- Lift out and leave to drain on kitchen tissue paper. Repeat this process for the rest of Gujiyas, increasing the heat for a few seconds before adding the next lot.
- You can serve the fried Gujiyas to your family or guest after cooling the fried Gujiyas directly.
- If you are a sweet lover you and add an extra mile to it by dipping it in sugar syrup. Let us start preparing this fabulous dish sweeter!
How to Make Sugar Syrup for Gujiya(optional for mild sweet lovers)
- For making sugar syrup add sugar and water in a pan. Switch on the heat on medium flame.
- Cook the sugar syrup till the sugar dissolves, lower the heat and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Cook till syrup looks like honey and little sticky.
- Keep it aside to cool down but it should be warm, to dip the Gujiyas. If the sugar syrup is totally cool put it to warm for 2 minutes on medium flame.
- Dip the Gujiyas in it for a minute or 2 then lift and let dry on a plate.
- Gujiyas can be eaten hot or at room temperature and can be stored in air-tight containers for a month.
Traditionally we prepare the Gujiya recipe by frying. But you can also bake them.
Baking method of Gujiya
To prepare it by baking, preheat oven to 200-degree celsius.
Brush the prepared Gujiyas with ghee or oil. I prefer brushing them with desi ghee. Since Gujiya prepared from desi ghee are crispier.
Now place them over the baking tray and bake them for 20 to 30 minutes till the outer crust turn golden.
As soon the outer crust turns golden, remove them from the oven. And cool down at room temperature.
Your baked Gujiya is ready to serve. You can also store them in an airtight container for a week.