Garam Masala Recipe
Garam masala is available as commercially-prepared mixture. But they do not keep as well; and can easily lose their aroma and flavor due to use of cheaper spices. Homemade garam masala are fresh and full of aromatic spice blend to provide a much more fragrant and pungent flavor. Homemade garam masala can be stored in air tight jar and can be used for few months. Lets start preparing this legendary cuisine of Persia.
Servings: 1 Cup
Garam Masala Ingredients
- 1/2 cup coriander seed (धनिया)
- 1/4 cup cumin seeds (जीरा)
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds (सौंफ)
- 2 tablespoon green cardamom (छोटी इलायची)
- 2 to 4 pieces black cardamom (बडी इलायची)
- 2 tablespoon cloves (लौंग)
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns (काली मिर्च के दाने) -
- 6 to 8 pieces cinnamon stick (दालचीनी) of approx 2 inch size
- 4 pieces bay leaf (तेज पत्ता)
- 1 piece nutmeg (जायफल) - small size
- 1 piece star anise (चक्र फूल)
- 3 strands mace (जावित्र)
Preparation for Garam Masala:
- Clean the bay leaves and cinnamon sticks with dry or damp cloth to remove dirt.
- Shell the cardamoms. Break open the nutmeg and check worms.
- Pick and remove debris from all the spices.
- Spread the spices flatly on a big and wide plate and dry them for 4-5 hours under hot sun.
- Or heat griddle or tawa over low flame, when it is sufficiently hot add Peppercorns, black cardamom, Cinnamon stick, green cardamom, bay leaves, Nutmeg, star anise, mace and cloves. Fry them tossing it three to four times until nice aroma releases. Transfer the mixture from griddle to plate.
- Now add coriander seeds to preheated griddle and toss until they also start releasing the aroma. Transfer this too from griddle to plate.
- Mix and spread the spices flatly on a big and wide plate to cool down.
How to make Garam Masala
- After cooling the spices sufficiently. Add all the spices to a mixer or spice blender jar and grind to a fine powder.
- Sieve the mixture for coarse spices and grind the coarse spices again for a smooth fine powdered garam masala.
- Store the garam masala in sun dried, air tight jar.
- Since with time, the flavors become dull, so try to make it in small quantities, if you want to enjoy fresh aroma of this spicy blend in your everyday cooking.