Whenever I prepare these crisp on the outside, spicy and juicy inside, fish cutlets they instantly vanish from the plates. My family and friends love these yummy cutlets.
As soon as I get fishes that have a single bone I prepare fish cutlets at my home. For preparing these cutlets single bone fishes are the best, as we can easily take out the flesh from it.
Best fishes for Cutlet recipe
Fishes like Bhetki, Tuna, Salmon, Pomfret that have single or fewer bones are is preferred to cook fish cutlets. As per your choice, availability, and taste you can select the fish to prepare cutlets.
For preparing this recipe I am using basa fish fillet. Frozen Basa fish fillet is very easily available in the supermarkets around me.
Other than the freshwater fish you can also use marine fish in this recipe. But if you are going to prepare this recipe with marine fishes then always keep precaution while adding salt in the recipe. As marine fishes are a bit salty, thus this important point must be taken care of.
Tips for How to make fish cutlet at home
For preparing fish cutlet you need to stream the fish first. You can also boil the fish if you desire. Whichever way you are doing it, but do not forget to make deep gashes with a sharp knife in the fish. This deep cut up to the bones helps in even fast cooking of the fish.
After steaming or boiling the fish, we will remove all the bones from the fish. Before you start to debone the fish let it cool down till its manageable. It is important to remove even the soft bones from the fish flesh as you do not want bones while eating cutlets.
After we have deboned the fish, we will prepare our cutlet mixture from this flesh. So let us move towards our recipe of Fish Cutlet and start preparing it quickly.
for cooking the fish for fish cutlet
- 100 grams basa fish fillet (कांटा निकला हुआ बासा मछली)
- 1/4 cup water (पानी)
- 1/5 teaspoon salt (नमक)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder (काली मिर्च पाउडर)
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder (गरम मसाला पाउडर)
For the patties
- 3 teaspoon garlic paste (लहसुन का पेस्ट)
- 1.5 teaspoon ginger paste (अदरक का पेस्ट)
- 1 teaspoon minced chilies (कुतरा हुआ मिर्च)
- 1 piece chopped onion (कटा हुआ प्याज)
- 1 piece of boiled potatoes (उबले हुए आलू) medium size
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder (काली मिर्च पाउडर)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder (गरम मसाला पाउडर)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर) or to taste
- 1 number egg (अंडा)
- 1 tablespoon oil (तेल)
For the Patty outer covering
- 1 number egg (अंडा)
- bread crumbs (डबल रोटी का चूरा)
- 2 tablespoon oil (तेल)
How to cook fish for cutlet
- Put basa fish fillet in a pan. To it add around one fourth cup water, a little salt, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper powder, 1/4 teaspoon of garam masala powder.
- Mix it well and cook covered over low heat until the fish gets tender and water evaporates. In between, you should flip the fish to cook it evenly from all the sides.
- Make sure that the water gets evaporated otherwise you will not be able to shape the cutlets. If you find fish got cooked but still some water is left, then cook the fish after removing the lid till the water gets evaporated.
- After the fish gets cooked well from all the sides switch off the heat and leave it to cool for around 10-15 minutes.
How to make fish cutlet mixture
- After it gets cool down transfer the cooked fish on a plate and shreds the fish into small 1/4 centimeter pieces with the help of a fork/spoon or your hand at your convenience.
- In a deep pan take 1 tablespoon of oil and put it over medium heat. When the oil is hot enough add 3 teaspoon garlic paste and 1.5 teaspoon ginger paste. Sauté a little till the raw aroma of spices goes away.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of minced green chilies along with 1 piece medium size finely chopped onion and fry them continuously stirring till the onions become translucent.
- Now to this add the minced fish and salt to taste. Mix well and sauté for a few minutes. Remember we have also added salt earlier during cooking the fish, thus add salt accordingly.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper powder, 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala powder and red chili powder to taste - depending on how spicy you want the mixture to be. Remember we have already added black pepper powder and green chilies earlier. Mix it well and cook for a minute or two.
- Switch off the heat and let the mixture cool down a little, then add mashed boiled potato along with whisked egg for binding the mixture. Mix well and knead it like a dough with your hand.
- Your mixture for the fish cutlet is ready.
How to Make Fish Cutlet Patty
- In a bowl crack a raw egg and whisk it very well. On another plate put some bread crumbs and keep aside.
- Apply some oil on your palm then take a portion of the mixture and roll it between your palm to make balls of around 3-4 inch diameter. Then press it between your palm gently to form a thick circular shape.
- Now dip the flatten balls into beaten egg, roll on the bread crumbs and keep aside on a separate plate.
- Repeat the same process with the remaining mixture to make rest fish cutlet patty.
- When all the fish cutlet patties are ready, transfer them to the refrigerator for 30 minutes. You can also zip lock these patties and freeze them for later use.
How to fry Fish Cutlet
- After 30 minutes take out the refrigerated fish cutlet patty and start preparing to fry them.
- To fry fish cutlet, take a nonstick pan and add 2 tablespoons of oil to it and put it over a medium-low flame.
- Gently shift the fish cutlet patty in oil. Add as many patties as they to fit comfortably in oil. Turn the heat to low flame, after 2 minutes of adding fish cutlets in oil and deep fry them till the fish cutlets turn light golden.
- While frying slowly turn them over to get an even color. Fry until golden-brown on both sides.
- Drain the fish cutlets from oil and shift it over kitchen tissue to remove extra oil.
- You can serve the deep-fried crispy fish cutlets to your family or guest as hot or at room temperature, as per your choice with green chutney or tomato sauce.