While traveling from Delhi to Chandigarh our family stopped in Dhabha to refresh ourselves. In this Dhabha they served us a delicious mutton curry. This Dhabe Da Meat recipe I cannot resist to prepare at home. Thus I collected this recipe of Punjabi Dhaba Style Mutton Curry.
Dhabe Da Meat means mutton of Dhabha. Dhabha is a roadside food stall in India and Pakistan. Here they serve delicious food to travelers. In India – Punjab, and Sindh province of Pakistan dominate the transportation and trucking business. Since the main customers of these Dhabha’s are truckers. Thus they serve them this Punjabi Dhaba style mutton curry.
You can quickly prepare this Punjabi Dhabha style mutton curry recipe. It is spicy as well as delicious. You might have tasted Kashmiri delight Mutton Rogan Josh, which is a spicy light gravy mutton recipe. In this Punjabi mutton curry, the gravy is thick. Due to the use of tomato and onion in it. In this recipe, we use whole spices. Which gives this recipe a nice aroma. For tendering the meat, we do a quick marinating process.
I serve this delicious quick, spicy and thick gravy mutton curry with Tandoori Roti, Chapati, or Nan. You can also enjoy this recipe with steamed rice. But Indian flatbreads are the best accomplishment for this recipe.
Punjab and Sindh provinces are the largest producers of wheat in their country. Thus people of these states love eating bread. So this recipe is designed to go with the bread. Thus I also will recommend you to serve this with Indian flatbreads.
Here is how to prepare delicious Dhabha style mutton curry. That is popularly known as Dhabe Da Meat in northern India. The best Punjabi Dhaba style mutton curry recipe.
Dhabe Da Meat Recipe
for marinating mutton
- 1 kilogram of mutton (बकरे का मांस) chopped into bite-size pieces
- 3/4 cup curd (दही)
- 1/2 tablespoon red chili powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder (जीरा पाउडर)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (धनिया पाउडर)
- 1/2 tablespoon salt (नमक)
for whole garam masala
- 16 pieces peppercorns (काली मिर्च के दाने)
- 8 pieces cloves (लौंग)
- 10 pieces green cardamom (छोटी इलायची)
- 2 pieces black cardamom (बड़ी इलायची)
- 2 inch cinnamon stick (दालचीनी)
- 2-3 pieces dry whole red chilies (सूखी साबुत लाल मिर्च) or as desired
- 4 pieces Indian bay leaf (तेज पत्ता)
for preparing mutton curry
- 4 pieces onion (प्याज) finely chopped
- 2 pieces tomato (टमाटर) finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon crushed ginger (कुचला हुआ अदरक)
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped garlic (बारीक कटा हुआ लहसुन)
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder (कश्मीरी लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder (गरम मसाला पाउडर)
- 5 tablespoon clarified butter (घी)
- 2 cup water (पानी)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा काटा हुआ धनिया पत्ती)
- 3-4 pieces slit green chili (चीरा हुआ हरी मिर्च)
- 1 tablespoon long ginger juliennes (पतले लंबे अदरक के टुकड़े)
for marination of mutton
- To prepare this recipe, firstly, clean, and wash the mutton pieces.
- To marinate mutton take a large bowl, put mutton pieces then add yogurt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and salt.
- Mix everything well and keep it aside for at least 2 hours. For the best result, you should marinate for 4-6 Hours.
how to cook Dhaba style Mutton
- Heat ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan, then add whole garam masala, garlic, ginger and saute for a few seconds.
- Combine chopped onion, green chilies and saute them till they turn golden brown add Kashmiri red chili powder and mix well.
- Add in the marinated lamb pieces and cook it till the mutton is cooked and tender.
- Then add tomatoes and green chilies. Cook it for about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently until the oil separates from the gravy.
- Pour in the required water and add salt to taste. Let it cook for another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder and stir fry for about 3-4 minutes.
- Decorate with coriander leaves, ginger juliennes and cut green chilies.
- Serve Dhaba style mutton curry with Steamed Rice, Rumali Roti, Chapati or Lachha paratha.