Daal Makhani is a popular Punjabi dish from North India. It is a very delicious and creamy dish. It is liked by almost all the person in the country due to its special taste. It is highly popular among people eating vegetarian food. In India no marriage party menu is complete without Dal Makhani in their menu. It is so much popular that today almost all restaurants and every dhabha keep Daal Makhani in their main course menu.
Daal Makhani is a delicious dish made from Urad dal and Rajma. If you are fond of Punjabi cuisine, then flavor of Dal Makhni must be tried. This can be made by mixing some important ingredients such as tomato puree, finely chopped onion, whole garam masala and ginger garlic paste in the right proportion of the house. This recipes has cream is slightly higher side. There is no doubt that if Dal Makhni is cooked with patience on low flame it taste similar to restaurant style dal Makhani.
Dal Makhani Recipe
- 1 cup whole horse bean (साबुत उड़द की दाल)
- 1 tablespoon red kidney beans (राजमा)
- 1 piece onion (प्याज) finely chopped
- 1 piece tomato (टमाटर) finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger slice (अदरक का टुकड़ा)
- 2-3 pieces green chilies (हरी मिर्च) finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा काटा हुआ धनिया पत्ती)
- 4-5 pieces garlic flakes (खड़ा लहसुन)
- 1/2 cup hung thick curd (लटका गाढ़ा दही)
- 1/2 cup fresh cream (ताजा क्रीम)
- 2 tablespoon butter (मक्खन)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (जीरा)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder (गरम मसाला पाउडर)
- red chili powder to taste (लाल मिर्च पाउडर स्वाद अनुसार)
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder (धनिया पाउडर)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- Soak rajma in water overnight.
- Add water & little salt and pressure-cook Rajma and urad daal till soft for about 20-25 minutes. Mash and boil again for 15-20 minutes and add curd and cream to the daal.
- Now in kadhai heat oil, splutter cumin seeds and add garlic paste, fry till light brown. Add onions and fry till golden brown.
- Now add ginger, green chilies and tomatoes and fry till tomatoes soften.
- Now add dry masalas (turmeric powder, chili powder, dhania powder & salt) and fry again for a moment.
- Add daal and stir on medium flame. As soon as it starts boiling remove from the gas.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder and garnish daal makhni with coriander and add butter.
- Serve daal makhni hot. Goes well with laccha paratha, naan or rice.