In my home, Chocolate Modak recipe is a must during Ganesh Chaturthi. Some festivals and foods are inseparable. Like Holi and Purana Poli, Sankranti popular for Sesame Laddu, and Ganesh Chaturthi for Modak. As Modak is favourite to Lord Ganesha. Chocolate is a favourite of all ages, young and old. You can’t resist chocolate any time. On the occasion of Ganeshotsav, everyone prepares Modaks.
And if it is chocolate Modaks is a favourite to all. So here are few tips to prepare these Modaks at home.
Tips to prepare Chocolate Modak Recipe:
1) You can also use milk chocolate instead of cocoa powder.
Microwave the Khowa and immediately add chocolate pieces. The heat will melt the chocolate. If you add chocolate, you should not microwave it. Otherwise, it may taste bad. Add powdered sugar and a little milk powder and mix well. Modak as usual.
2) I made this Modak in small quantities. To show prasad to Ganapati, make double or triple quantity. The more you eat, the more time you have to microwave.
3) It can also be made on gas—heat Khowa in a nonstick pan. The flame should be moderate. Stir constantly. If the colour changes slightly, remove the Khowa and make Modak in the above manner.
4) If frozen Khowa is used, keep it outside for an hour before making Modak. And then use Khova.
5) If you like the taste of dark chocolate, use dark cocoa powder. Otherwise, use light cocoa powder. Light cocoa powder makes the colour lighter, and dark cocoa makes it dark brown. In this case, mix both the powders and use them.
How to make chocolate Modak at home
And here’s a simple chocolate Modak recipe that you can easily prepare at home.
Chocolate Modak Recipe
For Chocolate Modak
- 1 cup evaporated milk solids (खोया/मावा) grated
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips (चॉकलेट चिप्स) - milk sweet or semi-sweet
- 2 tablespoons of sugar (चीनी) or as required.
- ⅛ teaspoon green cardamom powder (छोटी इलायची पाउडर)
- oil (तेल) or butter or ghee for greasing the molds as required
- 3 to 4 finely chopped pistachio (बारीक कटा हुआ पिस्ता) (optional)
- 5 to 6 rose petals (गुलाब की पंखुड़ियां) optional
Preparing dough for Chocolate Modak Recipe:
- First of all, prepare all the ingredients for Modak.
- Now heat a pan. Then turn the flame on the low, add the grated Mawa to it.
- Cook it on low heat for one minute while constantly stirring. Mawa will soon start melting.
- At this stage, add 2 tablespoons of sugar to this Mawa mixture. You can also adjust the quantity of sugar according to your taste.
- Cook it for one minute while stirring.
- Then to it, quickly add 1/3 cup of chocolate chips. Ensure that the chocolate chips are of very quality.
- Soon you will observe that the chocolate chips start melting. Cook it on low heat while stirring.
- The mixture will begin to thicken shortly. Continue cooking while stirring continuously.
- Also, sprinkle 1 pinch of cardamom powder in it as well.
- Cook the mixture over low heat until the mixture starts leaving the sides of the pan, and the Modak mixture has thickened. Do not overcook.
- As soon as the mixture becomes dense and hard, immediately transfer the mixture to another steel dish or plate.
- Leave the mixture to cool for a while.
How To Make Chocolate Modak Recipe:
- Lubricate the Modak mold with a little ghee or butter or oil. Then keep it aside.
- Now make small balls from this mixture.
- Keeping the Modak mold closed, stuff one small ball from the bottom hole. Simply press the mixture with your index finger towards the center of the mold so that it attains the shape of the mold.
- Then slowly open the mold and gently remove the Modak from it and place the Modak on top of the ghee plate.
- Repeating the above steps, to prepare the remaining Modaks from the remaining mixture balls.
- Offer it to Lord Ganesha after garnishing it with rose petals and sprinkling finely chopped pistachios on top.
- You can also refrigerate them and later serve them to your family and guests.