Chicken Malai Tikka is a juicy, tender chicken recipe. We prepare it from boneless chicken pieces. We cook these bite-sized chicken pieces with a creamy marinade. The marinade prepared from curd, fresh cream, ginger, garlic, and chilies induces deep flavor in it.
Traditionally murgh malai tikka is prepared in a special stove that we call Tandoor. At restaurants, they also prepare this recipe in a griller or OTG. But for my recipe will use none of them. Rather we will cook it on our regular gas stove!
As you know very well that I prefer traditional cooking techniques. And bring recipes for you, that you can cook easily at home. I intentionally avoid microwave technique, due to lots of health controversy involved in it. And keeping tandoor is not possible in every home. Thus try my this recipe that will produce the same taste as that of the restaurant made Chicken Malai Tikka.
The essence of a yummy Chicken malai tikka lies in the marination. To marinate Murgh Malai Tikka we especially use 2 souring agents. One is lemon juice and the second is curd. These 2 ingredients turn the chicken pieces soft and tender as they are very good tenderizer.
Indian spice along with these tenderizers helps in producing delightful yummy flavor. Fresh cream makes it further luscious. As we use lots of liquid ingredients thus in our marinade so I also use cornflour. The cornflour thickens the marinade. And also acts as a binding agent.
Here comes the yummy Chicken malai tikka recipe for home cooking.
Chicken Malai Tikka Recipe
- 500 grams boneless chicken (बिना हड्डी का मुर्गे का माँस) cut into 1-inch cubes
for marinating chicken pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (नींबू का रस)
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste (अदरक-लहसुन का पेस्ट)
- 1 teaspoon salt (नमक) or salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 4 tablespoon hung thick curd (लटका गाढ़ा दही)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper crushed (कुचल काली मिर्च)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder (गरम मसाला पाउडर)
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा काटा हुआ धनिया पत्ती)
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chili (कटा हुआ हरी मिर्च)
- 4 tablespoon fresh cream (ताजा क्रीम)
- 1 teaspoon cornflour (मक्के का आटा)
- 1 tablespoon oil (तेल)
for frying Chicken Malai Tikka
- ½ tablespoon butter (मक्खन)
- 1 tablespoon oil (तेल)
for smoky flavor
- 1 small piece of charcoal (लकड़ी का कोयला)
- 2 pieces cloves (लौंग)
- 1 teaspoon clarified butter (घी)
- 1 to 2 lemon wedge (नींबू का टुकड़ा)
- 1 medium-size onion (प्याज)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा काटा हुआ धनिया पत्ती)
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces, then pat them with a kitchen towel to make them dry.
- Transfer the boneless chicken pieces in a large mixing bowl then add 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste and salt to taste. Mix them well and keep aside till we prepare our second marination paste.
- For the second marination take 4 tablespoons of hung thick curd in another large mixing bowl. To it add half teaspoon of crushed black pepper, half teaspoon garam masala powder, 4 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh coriander leaves, 1 teaspoon of finely chopped green chilies and 4 tablespoons of fresh cream.
- Adding cornflour is optional. If you are using hung curd that is very thick then you can exclude cornflour, otherwise add 1 teaspoon of cornflour to make a thick marinating paste.
- Mix all the ingredients very well to form a thick paste. You might have noted that we have yet not added oil though we have listed it in marination ingredients. We will add oil after our marination of chicken is done. Adding oil slows the marination process thus we will add it later.
- Now to pour this marinating paste over the chicken pieces. Give a very good mix, so that this paste covers the chicken pieces from all the side. Now cover and transfer it in a refrigerator for at least 2 hours. If you marinate it overnight, it tastes even delicious. But 2 hours minimum is required.
How to make Chicken Malai Tikka at Home
- Once the marination process completes. Add 1 tablespoon of oil over the chicken pieces and mix it well again.
- Now we will arrange the chicken pieces in a screwer. For this pierce the chicken pieces in the screwer. If you do not have a screwer at home you can also pierce and arrange them in a toothpick.
- Since the chicken pieces get soft after marination, piercing them in a screwer or toothpick becomes easy. But still take precautions, since once I have hurt myself during this step.
- Once the chicken pieces get arranged, transfer them on a plate. Repeat this process with the rest of the chicken pieces.
How to cook Chicken Malai Tikka on a frying pan
- To fry the chicken pieces, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and half tablespoon of salted butter in a frying pan over a high flame. Once the butter melts, spread it evenly on the frying pan.
- When the oil and butter start smoking lightly transfer the screwed chicken on the frying pan. Add as much as your frying pan could adjust easily. Do not overcrowd it.
- Fry it for approximately 2 minutes on high flame. After cooking for 2 minutes on high flame, Flip the chicken pieces and turn the flame to low.
- Once you flipped all the chicken pieces cover the pan and cook it for 5 minutes on low flame so that the chicken gets tender.
- After 5 minutes when you will open the lid, you will find a nice aroma is coming out. You will also see some moisture and juices in the pan. To dry the juices and cook the chicken flip the chicken again and turn the flame to high.
- Cook it open on high flame, till all the chicken gets dry again. Do not forget to flip the chicken in between for even cooking from all sides.
- Once the chicken is done, you will find aromatic tender chicken with dark brown spots on all sides of the pieces.
Adding smoky aroma and flavor
- For inducing smoky flavor like barbeque chicken, heat a small piece of charcoal on the open fire of gas stove over a high flame.
- Once the charcoal turns red, transfer a small bowl in the center of the chicken pieces. And place the red hot charcoal in this small bowl.
- Add 2-3 cloves over the burning charcoal, and immediately add 1 teaspoon of clarified butter over the charcoal. You will see smoke coming out of the charcoal.
- Immediately cover the whole pan with a large lid and let chicken pieces absorb the smoky flavor. Keep it covered for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes open the lid and remove the small bowl in which we have placed the charcoal and cloves.
- Your aromatic, smoky, creamy, Chicken Malai Tikka is ready to serve.
- Dish out the chicken pieces and serve hot garnishing it with chopped fresh coriander leaves, onion rings and a piece of lemon.
Serve the yummy Murgh Malai Tikka with a natural smoky flavor your family and guests. Serve hot immediately with a lemon piece and onion rings and green chutney. You can serve this recipe as an appetizer or brunch.