Chicken Malai Curry and an accidental dish that turned delicious. This recipe is a fusion of two recipes. And this fusion came into existence accidentally. The story behind the creation of this recipe is fascinating, and I must tell you.
It was Sunday morning. I asked my 7-year-old son what he would like to have in his lunch. Chicken or mutton? He replied, prawn! Then I asked which recipe of prawn? This question of mine was a bit confusing to him. Since he could not recon the name of the recipe, he is started explaining to me – that yellow gravy recipe you prepared that day, which has thick and creamy gravy, along with prawn in it. The recipe was delicious, and I consumed it with rice, after hearing his explanation. I asked, are you talking about Prawn Malai Curry. Yes, he replied.
But I would like to have it with Roti today. I don’t want to have it with rice. Ok, I said; then I turned towards my husband and asked him to bring prawn as we do not have prawn at home. Ok, he said and started enjoying his Sunday nap.
I went to the kitchen and started preparing for prawn malai curry. I prepared fresh coconut milk. Chopped the onions and prepared onion paste. Prepared tomato puree, and soaked poppy seeds, to prepare a paste of poppy seed. Then prepared a vegetable sandwich for breakfast. When I turned back to the bedroom, I found my husband still enjoying his nap.
I shake him and said, you are still sleeping! When will you bring prawn? It’s getting too late. He checked the time; it’s 10 now, and quickly rushed to the washroom for brushing his teeth. Then immediately run for the market for getting prawn. But as I had a doubt, he returned home with boneless chicken and said – today prawn was not in the market, so I brought chicken. Shrihans (my son’s name) likes Chilli Chicken too. Why don’t you cook Chilli Chicken today; I will convince him.
Listening to the innocent excuse of my husband and feeling helpless on the preparation done by me and further looking forward to the polite demand of my son – I decided to prepare Malai Curry with Chicken.
Here is the recipe of accidentally created chicken malai curry recipe that turned delish.
Chicken Malai Curry
for marination of chicken
- 500 grams of boneless chicken (बिना हड्डी का मुर्गे का माँस)
- 4 tablespoon hung thick curd (लटका गाढ़ा दही)
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste (अदरक का पेस्ट)
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste (लहसुन का पेस्ट) crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (नमक)
- 2 pieces of onion (प्याज) medium size
- 1 piece tomato (टमाटर) medium size
- 4 tablespoon refined oil (रिफाइंड तेल)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (शाह जीरा)
- 1 piece black cardamom (बड़ी इलायची)
- 4 pieces of green cardamom (छोटी इलायची)
- 1 inch of cinnamon stick (दालचीनी)
- 2 piece Indian bay leaf (तेज पत्ता)
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste (अदरक का पेस्ट)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste (लहसुन का पेस्ट)
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder (धनिया पाउडर)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- sugar to taste (स्वाद के लिए चीनी)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (नारियल का दूध)
- 1 tablespoon white poppy seeds (सफेद पोस्ता)
- 4-5 pieces cashew nut (काजू)
- 2 pieces almond (बादाम)
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water (गुनगुना पानी)
- 1 piece chopped green chili (कटा हुआ हरी मिर्च)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder (गरम मसाला पाउडर)
- 1 cup water (पानी)
- 2 tablespoon fresh cream (ताजा क्रीम)
to marinate chicken
- Mix curd, ginger paste, garlic paste and salt in a bowl.
- Add chicken pieces and mix well, cover the bowl with a plastic wrap well, then keep in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 hours for marination.
to prepare curry
- Chop the onion. Then move the chopped onions to a mixer jar and grind to a fine paste and keep it aside in a bowl.
- Chop the tomato. Then move the chopped tomato to a mixer jar and grind to a make tomato puree.
- Blanch the almond. Soak the poppy seed, blanched almond along with cashew nut in a bowl for around 10 minutes in lukewarm water. Then move it to a mixer jar and grind to a make paste. Keep the paste ready to use later.
How to Make Chicken Malai Curry
- Heat 4 tablespoons of refined oil on medium flame in a pan; when oil is sufficiently hot, add black cumin followed by black cardamom, green cardamom, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, turmeric and red chili powder.
- Immediately add chopped green chili, then onion paste to the pan. Fry onion paste until the onion turns light brown.
- Turn the flame to low and add ginger paste, garlic paste, coriander powder along with salt and fry it for 5 minutes, stirring gently. Then add tomato puree and fry until oil starts separating.
- Now, add the marinated chicken and the marinade to the spices, mix well and cover the pan with a lid. Cook it for around 15 minutes, occasionally stirring after every 3-4 minutes in low heat, then cover the pan again till the chicken is slightly browned and oil leaves sides.
- Now, add the paste of poppy seeds, cashew nut, and almond prepared earlier, add garam masala, and cook for another 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Now add coconut milk and cook for another 2 minutes. Add sugar to your taste. Adjust water if you want a thick or thin gravy and cook it till the gravy starts boiling.
- Spread fresh cream over the recipe. Mix well and switch off the flame.
- The chicken malai curry is ready to serve.
After preparing this recipe when I tasted it, it was very satisfying, but my son was the real judge.
At the dining table, when my son tasted this recipe, he said nothing and finished his food. My husband was continuously appreciating the recipe and enjoying the food. But I was more anxious to listen to my son’s final comment, but he said nothing yet. So finally, I asked him how the malai curry is? He replied – It’s much delicious than the earlier one, and it also smells good. He said, always prepare prawn malai curry this way; it’s much delicious than the previous one.
I smiled and kept the secret. When my son moved away from the table, my husband gave his final comment, I know you are a great cook, and this chicken malai curry is superb!