Chicken Korma is a delicious chicken recipe with a thick gravy. The recipe is not only aromatic but it has a versatile flavor of nuts. This flavor comes from the use of almonds and cashew. These ingredients along with onion and curd make the gravy thick. Aroma comes from the use of Indian spices and Kewra water.
This Chicken Korma recipe is Mugali style Chicken Korma. It has an authentic, traditional flavor. I have cooked this recipe using the same techniques that Mughals used to cook it in the Mughal Era. Thus you will get the same flavor to enjoy it with any pulao or Indian bread.
Korma is a very popular recipe. You will find a variety of Korma recipes in entire South Asia. Every Region has blended this recipe according to their taste. In some regions, people replace the nuts with poppy seeds. In south India, people also add coconut milk to prepare the gravy. Though this turns taste according to regional flavor. But the basic cooking style of this recipe remains the same.
Like any Biryani Recipe, brown onions are a must to have ingredients in any Korma recipe. No korma recipe is possible without using brown onion in it. So, I have also prepared brown onions for it. Brown onions turn any curry recipe into delicious. Preparing perfect brown onions is a time-consuming process, so I prefer preparing it in large quantities. You will always find brown onion in my refrigerator.
Whenever I prepare any curry recipe I prefer to use brown onions. This not only makes the process quicker. But the outcome is awesome. I also recommend you to try this tip.
Here are a few more tips to turn your Chicken Korma delicious.
Tips to make Chicken Korma
To prepare the Chicken Korma recipe always use chicken in bones. You can discard the neck and wings to prepare this recipe. Or you can use the neck and wings pieces to prepare the chicken broth for this recipe. The breast and leg pieces of chicken are the best to prepare this recipe.
Brine the chicken to make the chicken tender. Though it is totally optional. But I prefer to do it, to make the chicken tender and juicy.
Traditional Korma curry is prepared with a paste made from cashew and almonds. You can also replace it with poppy seed paste. It’s all up to you which taste you prefer.
Here comes the perfect tender Chicken Korma recipe that you were waiting for!
To Brine the Chicken
- 600 grams of chicken (मुर्गे का माँस) chopped in big pieces
- 1 tablespoon salt (नमक)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (चीनी)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (नींबू का रस)
- 1 liter water (पानी)
For Korma Paste
- 10-12 pieces of cashew nut (काजू)
- 4 pieces of almond (बादाम)
- 1 cup lukewarm water (गुनगुना पानी)
- 1 cup fried brown onion (तला हुआ भूरा प्याज)
- 2 tablespoon curd (दही)
- 1 piece Indian bay leaf (तेज पत्ता)
- 1 piece of black cardamom (बड़ी इलायची)
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick (दालचीनी)
- 1 small size star anise (चक्र फूल)
- 10-12 pieces of black pepper (काली मिर्च)
- 5-6 pieces of green cardamom (छोटी इलायची)
- 4-5 pieces of cloves (लौंग)
- 2-3 tablespoon clarified butter (घी) or Oil
- 3/4 cup whisked curd (फेटा हुआ दही)
- 3 tablespoon coriander powder (धनिया पाउडर)
- 2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder (कश्मीरी लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 2 teaspoon red chili powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder (जीरा पाउडर)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste (अदरक-लहसुन का पेस्ट)
- 1/3 cup chicken broth (मुर्ग़ा का जूस) or water (पानी)
for Aromatic Final Touch & Garnishing
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder (गरम मसाला पाउडर)
- 1-2 tablespoon fried brown onion (तला हुआ भूरा प्याज)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा काटा हुआ धनिया पत्ती)
- 1 teaspoon kewra water (केवरा पानी)
Steps to Brine the Chicken
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces well in water.
- In a large bowl add 1 liter of water, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Mix it well till the sugar and salt dissolves. Your brine solution is ready.
- Now a dip the clean chicken pieces in the brine. Mix the pieces thoroughly and transfer it in the refrigerator for 1/2 an hour.
Preparation for preparing Chicken Korma Paste
- For preparing cashew nut and almond paste for our Chicken Korma recipe, soak the cashew nut and almond in 1 cup of lukewarm water. It is better if you can soak it overnight. But soaking them for 2-3 hours also works well.
- When the cashew nuts and almonds get soft after soaking, remove them from water, and keep them aside. And yes do not forget to peel off the skin of almonds. We will prepare its paste after preparing our brown onions.
Preparing Brown Onion
- No Korma recipe is complete with the brown onion. It is a very important ingredient for preparing any Korma Recipe. As preparing brown onion is a time taking process thus I always prepare it in large quantities and keep it stored in my refrigerator. But if you do not have it in your stock prepare it applying below steps.
- To prepare Brown onions, slice the 4 big onions into long fine pieces.
- Pour half cup refined oil and half cup oil in a heavy bottom pan and put it on medium flame. When the oil starts to smoke add the chopped onions. Fry the onions stirring occasionally till they turn light golden in color.
- As soon as onions turn golden drain the onions from oil and keep it in over a tissue paper to remove the extra oil. Let cool down and turn crispy.
Preparing Chicken Korma Paste
- Once the brown onions cool down and turn crispy, remove 1 tablespoon of it and keep it aside as we will use it later for garnishing.
- In a grinder jar, put the soaked cashew nuts and almonds. To it add the remaining brown onions and 2 tablespoons of curd and grind it into a smooth paste.
How to make Chicken Korma
- In a heavy bottom pan preferably Handi or pressure cooker, heat 3 tablespoons of clarified butter. Till the ghee warms up and starts smoking lightly, let us prepare our spice mix.
- Take a large bowl, to it add 3/4 cup whisked curd. To it add 3 tablespoons of coriander powder, 2 teaspoons Kashmiri red chili powder, 2 teaspoons red chili powder, half teaspoon turmeric powder, and half teaspoon cumin powder. Wisk and mix them smoothly.
- When the oil starts smoking add the whole gram masala like bay leaf, black cardamom, cinnamon stick, star anise, black pepper, green cardamom, and cloves into it. Stir them for 30 secs and then pour the spice mixture into the oil.
- Fry it for 1-2 minutes. You will find bubbles coming out of oil. At this point add salt to taste. Remember about brine chicken, thus it will also contain salt. So, add salt accordingly.
- Fry for another 1-2 minutes then add ginger-garlic paste and let it fry till oil separates from the spices.
- When the oils separate completely from the oil then add the brown onion paste that we have prepared earlier.
- Mix it very well with the spices. We need not fry it much as the onions are already fried. Just mix it well for a smooth thick gravy.
- Now turn the flame to high. Take out the chicken pieces from brine solution and transfer them immediately into this spice mix. Discard the brine solution.
- Now its time to fry the chicken pieces. So mix the chicken pieces in the spice mix well and fry continuously stirring for 2-3 minutes. Since the flame is on high thus it does not take much time.
- Now turn the flame to low, add 1/3 cup chicken broth or water while stirring occasionally till it boils. Then cover the pan and let the chicken cook on low flame till 10 to 12 minutes, let it simmer till the chicken is cooked properly.
The final touch for aromatic, spicy Chicken Korma Recipe
- Finally, add garam masala, chopped green coriander, and leftover brown onions.
- Close the flame and add the 1 teaspoon kewra water and leave it covered for 10-15 minutes. So that the aroma gets absorbed in the recipe.
- Serve hot with any Indian Bread.
After preparing this flavorful, aromatic delicious Chicken Korma don’t forget to comment on your reviews.