Chicken Kali Mirch or Murgh Kali Mirch is a delightful chicken recipe. This recipe is very popular in North India. Indian Black Pepper Chicken is cooked with lots of Black Pepper. Black Pepper is known as Kali Mirch in Hindi. Thus we name this chicken recipe – Chicken Kali Mirch.
Before cook, we firstly marinate the chicken with black pepper and yogurt. For preparing gravy, we use ginger-garlic paste, green chilies, and garam masala. The combination of these spices, adds a very rich flavor to this Pepper Chicken.
The freshly grounded black pepper and green chilies impart beautiful and subtle spiciness and aroma to the dish. Thus, if you want a rich spicy flavor, always use freshly grounded Black Pepper while preparing this recipe.
The Pepper Chicken prepared in this way, have Chicken pieces, simmering in thick creamy gravy. You can not resist eating this delicious Black Pepper Chicken. So any non-vegetarian food lover should try this recipe.
Variations of this recipe:
There are 2 major variations of this recipe
Chicken Kali Mirch dry recipe – The rich Indian black pepper chicken dry recipe couples up perfectly with any Indian flatbreads like Kasuri Naan, Butter Naan, Lachha Parathas, Plain Kulcha, Phulkas Parathas, and Roomali Roti.
Chicken Kali Mirch gravy recipe – This gravy recipe is significantly best for all the rice preparations. Easy Zafrani Pulao, Jeera Rice, Kashmiri Pulao, Peas Pulao, Kaju Pulao, and Khushka pairs best with Kali Mirch Chicken gravy recipe.
I personally like Chicken Kali Mirch dry recipe. Since this is a spicy recipe, thus I love to enjoy its flavor with Indian bread.
When this recipe is prepared in light gravy – And is accomplished with rice or rice recipes. Then its rich spicy flavor becomes dull. But, if you still want Chicken Kali Mirch gravy, then kindly increase the amount of black pepper and green chilies to maintain its flavor.
If you find the dry recipe too much spicy. Then you can add a little sugar to balance the flavor. You can also reduce the number of green chilies if you desire. But do not reduce the amount of black pepper.
Reducing the amount of black pepper not only influences its taste, but you also lose the numerous benefits of black pepper too.
Benefits of Black Pepper:
Black pepper is the fruit of a flowering vine of the Piperaceae family. It is believed that Black pepper is the most commonly used culinary spice in the world. Black pepper is native to Kerala, a southern state of India. While chili peppers contain capsaicin. On the other hand, the spiciness of black pepper comes from a chemical called piperine.
Black pepper is in use in herbal medicine and to preserve food for a long time.
Here are the few health benefits of black pepper:
- Black pepper helps fight colon cancer.
- Piperine, one of the main compounds in black pepper, does wonder for cognitive function and mental health.
- Black pepper helps the body secrete more hydrochloric acid, which is necessary for digesting proteins and other food components.
- It inhibits the end products of protein glycation, which speed up aging.
- Black pepper helps fight tooth decay and provides quick relief from a toothache.
- Scientists found Black pepper to be effective against vitiligo, a skin disease that causes areas of the skin to lose their pigmentation.
- Piperine in black pepper battles fat by blocking the formation of new fat cells.
- Black pepper, piperine, holds natural anti-inflammatory effects.
- Black pepper helps you kick your smoking habit.
So this recipe is delicious as well as healthy too.
Today I am preparing Chicken Kali Mirch dry recipe. You can easily convert it to Chicken Kali Mirch gravy recipe by adding some water at the end. Then simmer it for a few minutes over low flame.
Cook this recipe today.
Chicken Kali Mirch Recipe
for marinating chicken
- 500 grams chicken (मुर्गे का माँस) cleaned and cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil (तेल)
- 1/3 teaspoon garam masala powder (गरम मसाला पाउडर)
- 1/3 teaspoon black pepper powder (काली मिर्च पाउडर)
- 1/2 cup whisked curd (फेटा हुआ दही)
For Chicken Kali Mirch Gravy
- 2 tablespoon oil (तेल)
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste (अदरक का पेस्ट)
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste (लहसुन का पेस्ट)
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chili (कटा हुआ हरी मिर्च)
- 2 pieces onion (प्याज) medium size sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (जीरा पाउडर)
- garam masala powder (गरम मसाला पाउडर)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper powder (काली मिर्च पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon dry fenugreek leaves (कसूरी मेथी)
- water (पानी) as required
- 20-25 pieces cashew nut (काजू)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 4-5 pieces finely chopped garlic (बारीक कटा हुआ लहसुन)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder (काली मिर्च पाउडर)
for marination of chicken
- To prepare this recipe, firstly, clean and wash the chicken pieces.
- To marinate chicken take a large bowl, put chicken pieces then add 1 tablespoon oil, 1/3 teaspoon garam masala powder, 1/3 teaspoon black pepper powder and 1/2 cup whisked curd.
- Mix everything well and keep it aside for at least 15 to 20 minutes. For the best result, you should marinate for 1 Hour.
How to cook Chicken Kali Mirch
- Now heat oil in a wok and then add 1 teaspoon ginger paste, 1 teaspoon garlic paste and 1 teaspoon finely chopped green chili. Saute for a minute or two.
- After that put finely chopped onion and fry till onions turn translucent.
- Once the onions are translucent add cumin powder, garam masala powder, black pepper powder, and roasted fenugreek leaves powder. Add some water and cook the spices well.
- When the spices get fried and cooked well add marinated chicken and salt to taste to it.
- Mix well and saute till oil gets separated then add cashew nut paste.
- Again mix well then cover and cook for another 8-10 minutes until the chicken is tender.
- Once the chicken gets tender your Chicken Kali Mirch is ready to serve.
- Sprinkle some black pepper powder.
- Serve hot with chapati or any Indian bread.