Chhena Poda is a traditional Oriya dessert of Paneer or Chhena. Chhena Poda Sweets is an interesting backdrop to be discovered by chance. It is also said that Chhena Poda is the favorite sweet of Lord Jagannath. The presiding deity of the Jagannath temple in Puri, Odisha. In Odisha and Bengal, Chhena Poda is also prepared during festivals like Diwali and Durga Puja.
The name of this dish means “roasted cheese” in Oriya. The texture and appearance of this recipe are similar to the baked sponge cake recipe. It has a distinctly smoky flavor with the goodness of sugary paneer. Traditionally this recipe is prepared only with Chhena. But we can tweak it to different flavors by incorporating different types of nuts and raisins.
Chhena Poda Recipe | Chenna Poda Recipe | How To Make Chhena Poda
- 250 grams Indian cottage cheese (पनीर) or chenna
- ½ cup sugar (चीनी) or 125 grams sugar or ½ cup jaggery powder
- ½ teaspoon green cardamom powder (छोटी इलायची पाउडर)
- ½ tablespoon rice flour (चावल का आटा)
- little cashew nut (काजू)
- little raisins (किशमिश)
- some clarified butter (घी) for greasing
How to make Chhena Poda
- Begin by covering a baking dish with chopped banana leaves. Then grease banana leaves with clarified butter. If you can not get banana leaves, you can substitute the banana leaves with butter paper or Parchment paper. Alternatively, leave everything aside and apply ghee around the pan.
- On the other side, preheat the oven at 180 ° C for 15 minutes.
- Then, crumble 250 grams of fresh paneer or Chhena in a mixing bowl.
- In this crumbled Chhena, mix in 1/2 cup sugar. You can also use 1/2 cup of jaggery powder instead of sugar.
- Combine sugar and Chhena with clean hands.
- Mash the paneer or Chhena and knead it until it turns into a consistency of very soft dough. Also, note while rubbing the Chhena, some fat comes out of it; it is normal.
- The texture of the cheese mixture should be loose, still light, and cake-like; The more delicate and soft the texture is, the better will be the taste of Chhena Poda.
- You saw that I had not used any milk or water in this recipe. For preparing Chenna Poda, we need a thick batter-like consistency of cottage cheese. For this, you can add a few tablespoons of milk or water to it.
- When the cottage cheese mixture turns into a batter, add 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom powder and 1/2 tablespoon of rice flour. You can also add a pinch of baking soda, but this is optional. You can also mix fine Rava (semolina) to replace rice flour for preparing batter. You can also add chopped nuts such as cashew nuts, almonds, and raisins to this batter.
- Always ensure the consistency of the batter should be thick yet smooth flowing. Thus you can always use milk or rice flour to adjust the thickness of the batter.
- Fill the pan in half with the Chhena mixture. Shake the pan gently to ensure the Chena Poda mixture gets evenly distributed. Level the top with a spatula.
Baking Chena Poda
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the Chenna Podas for 30 to 45 minutes. Set the pan to toast mode with the help of OTG and keep the pan in the middle.
- Bake the Chenna Podas until the upper crust turns golden brown.
- Oven time varies, so keep an eye on it. In some ovens, this cheesecake may take less time to bake. On average, it takes 30 to 45 minutes to cook, depending on your oven.
- When the Chhena pod gets cooked, take it out of the oven.
- Then, check with a bamboo skewer or toothpick. To do this, pierce a toothpick into the Chenna Poda and then take the toothpick out. There should be no sticky batter on the toothpick. Then it is done.
- Let the Chhena Podas cool entirely in the pan. Then remove it.
- Chhena Poda can be sliced and served. You can also keep the leftover Chhena Poda in the fridge for 2 to 3 days.
- Chhena Poda can be served as a dessert or as a sweet snack after a meal.
Keywords : chhena poda recipe, chhena poda recipe in kadai, chhena poda recipe in hindi, chhena poda recipe in bengali, ingredients of chhena poda, chhena poda 1kg price, chhena poda history, chhena poda famous in odisha