Chaat Masala is tangy spice mix that we usually sprinkle over Chaat Recipes. Just a pinch of this over the Tikki Chaat, Aloo Chaat, Dahi Bhalle, Papri Chaat, Bhelpuri to fruits Chaats and curries; induces lip-smacking flavor to the dish. This simple mix of spices boosts the favor of the recipe to its optimum level.
Chaat Masala is an Indian Masala mix, that you can make for yourself within minutes. I have tried many Chaat Masala recipes from different brands. But this one that I prepared at home is the best. So I thought to share it with you.
When I was using the spice mixes from different brands. I found something is missing in every spice mix. Some are to sour, others were too salty. I could not get the perfect tangy taste that I was looking for.
Thus I started experimenting it with different proportion of its ingredients. Initially, I prepared these spice mixes in small quantities. And finally, I found the perfect proportion for a Tangy Chaat Masala recipe.
This spice mix can be stored for up to 2-3 months in an airtight glass jar. Just keep it in a cool and dry place. So you can easily make it in a large quantity for use later.
Here is the recipe for the best Tangy Chaat Masala that I prepared at home.
Chaat Masala Recipe
Chaat Masala Ingredients:
- 1 cup coriander seeds (धनिया)
- 1.25 cups cumin seeds (जीरा)
- 1/2 cup carom seeds (अजवाइन)
- 1/2 cup dry mango powder (आमचूर पाउडर)
- 4 teaspoon black pepper (काली मिर्च)
- 2-3 piece dry whole red chilies (सूखी साबुत लाल मिर्च)
- 1.25 cup black rock salt (काला नमक)
- 1 teaspoon salt (नमक)
Preparation for Chaat Masala:
- Pick and remove debris from coriander seed, cumin seeds, and carom seeds.
How to make Chaat Masala
- Heat a frying pan and dry roast cumin and coriander seeds until dark brown.
- Remove from pan and leave to cool.
- Add them in a blender along with black pepper, whole red chilies, whole red chilies, black rock salt, salt and grind to make a smooth powder.
- Store the chaat masala in a sun-dried, airtight jar for 1 to 2 months.
- Use as and when required.
If you have prepared this Spice Mix at home and enjoyed it. For perfectly flavoring your recipes, also try my Garam Masala Recipe.