Brown Onion Recipe | How to Caramelize Onions| How To Make Biryani Onions
Brown Onion Recipe
Caramelized fried onions are full of flavor. These fried brown onions boost the flavors of biryani or korma recipes. You can also find fried onions in stores but the taste of freshly fried onions are unbelievably delicious and the aroma is wonderful. So let’s start preparing it at home.
Servings: 2 cup
- 1 kilogram onion (प्याज)
- 1/2 cup oil (तेल)
How to Make Crispy Brown Onions
- Cut the onions into half and peel the dry skin of the onion. Remove the stem ends of the onions and the roots off of the root end.
- Now chop the onion into fine uniform size thin slices. It is must to have uniform slice of onion otherwise some portion of onions will get fried earlier while others will take time to get fry. You can also use slicer to for slice the onions to get uniform slices.
- After slicing the onions, take handful of onion pieces and rub them gently between your palm of both hand. This will separate each layer of sliced onions. In a separated plate put the loose onion layers for an hour.
- Now take a thick-bottomed deep fry pan. Put the loose onion layers into it. Now sprinkle about 1/4 cup oil over these onion slices and mix gently with the help of a fork. After giving a gentle mix sprinkle rest 1/4 cup oil over the onions again and give it another gentle mix with for. This process well help in separating the onion layers further and putting a even coating of oil over the onions.
- Now put the pan over high flame and start frying it continuously stirring it otherwise your onions will become brown from the bottom and remain raw from top.
- Cook the onions on high flame till you see the onions turned translucent and starts clumping i.e. starts gathering together. At this stage keep a eye on the recipe as onions will start turning golden then turn brown very quickly.
- As soon as some onions turn golden, turn the flame to low and cook continuously stirring on low flame till all the onions turn golden evenly. Lowering the flame increases the time for getting onion brown. Thus helps in cooking all onions evenly.
- Cook continuously stirring on low flame till all onions turn golden. When you find the onions got evenly cooked, then drain the onions from oil and put them on a kitchen towel.
- Now using a fork gently stir and separate the fried onions and let them dry out over kitchen towel for at least 1 hour. After a hour the excess oil will drain out and your fried onions will turn cripsy and crunchy.
How to Store Fried Onions
- You can store your fried onions in refrigerator for a year sealed in a poly bag.