If you order for biryani, whether it is mutton biryani or chicken biryani. When the biryani comes in front of you the first thing you observe is biryani peeping behind the brown onion. This brown onion adds beauty to the biryani recipe. As well as when you put biryani along with brown onion in your mouth, it offers a wonderful, crispy and sweet taste.
Brown Onions is not only modulated in the Biryani recipe only. It is also a part of a variety of Korma recipes too. Restaurants usually use Brown Onions to quickly prepare curry recipes. You can prepare gravy easily and quickly by using it instead of frying onions during the preparation of your curry.
You may think that preparing the brown onion is hard, but it is not at all so. The preparation of brown onion is as easy as preparing ginger and garlic paste at home. The only thing is – you have to put vital attention while frying onions. And take care of perfect timing during the preparation of this recipe. It takes a little extra time to prepare brown onions, but you can easily invest this time for its wonderful taste. Since preparing this recipe is time taking. Thus I will recommend you, prepare this recipe in the big lot. The best part of this recipe is that you can store it sealed glass jar or plastic wrap for about a year in the refrigerator.
Onions have their own sweet taste as there is plenty of sugar in it. While making brown onion recipe, we have to fry it as much that the sugar inside the onions come out to its surface and then gets caramelized on top. This caramelized sugar on the surface gives onions brown texture and crispness.
So let’s start preparing this easy recipe of crispy brown onions step by step.
Brown Onion Recipe
- 1 kilogram onion (प्याज)
- 1/2 cup oil (तेल)
How to slice onions for Brown Onions Recipe
- Cut the onions into half and peel the dry skin of the onion. Remove the stem ends of the onions and the roots off of the root end.
- Now chop the onion into fine uniform size thin slices. It is a must to have a uniform slice of onion otherwise some portion of onions will get fried earlier while others will take time to get fry. You can also use the slicer to slice the onions to get uniform slices.
- After slicing the onions, take a handful of onion pieces and rub them gently between your palm of both hands. This will separate each layer of sliced onions. In a separated plate put the loose onion layers for an hour.
How to fry onions for Crispy Brown Onions Recipe
- Now take a thick-bottomed deep fry pan. Put the loose onion layers into it. Now sprinkle about 1/4 cup oil over these onion slices and mix gently with the help of a fork. After giving a gentle mix sprinkle rest 1/4 cup oil over the onions again and give it another gentle mix with for. This process helps in separating the onion layers further and putting an even coating of oil over the onions.
- Now put the pan over a high flame and start frying it continuously stirring it otherwise your onions will become brown from the bottom and remain raw from the top.
- Cook the onions on high flame till you see the onions turned translucent and start clumping i.e. starts gathering together. At this stage keep an eye on the recipe as onions will start turning golden then turn brown very quickly.
- As soon as some onions turn golden, turn the flame to low and cook continuously stirring on low flame till all the onions turn golden evenly. Lowering the flame increases the time for getting onion brown. Thus helps in cooking all onions evenly.
- Cook continuously stirring on low flame till all onions turn golden. When you find the onions got evenly cooked, then drain the onions from oil and put them on a kitchen towel.
How to cool fried onions to turn them crispy
- Now using a fork gently stir and separate the fried onions and let them dry out over the kitchen towel for at least 1 hour. After an hour the excess oil will drain out and your fried onions will turn crispy and crunchy.
How to Store Fried Onions
- You can store your fried onions in the refrigerator for a year sealed in a polybag.