Bread Pulao or Bread Upma is a very easy and quick recipe. You can prepare it at any time. This is a very good recipe for breakfast. A few pieces of bread, a small portion of onion and little spices are sufficient to prepare this recipe.
Upma is actually a South Indian breakfast recipe that we make from semolina. The name Upma comes in it due to its similar taste to that of the Upma recipe.
If you want, you can also add some veggies of your choice in it. Here, I have used boiled potatoes and green peas to keep this recipe quick and simple. You can also add cauliflower, capsicum, and other green vegetables to it. Adding vegetables to it increases its nutrition and taste.
You can use fresh bread in this bread pulao recipe. Or you can also use the leftover bread in your refrigerator. That you bought for your yesterday’s sandwich. If you are using leftover stale bread, you have to remove its edges. We need to do this because these edges become stiff with age. For a fresh loaf of bread, this is not necessary. and yes! With the leftover bread, you can also prepare a Bread Roll recipe.
I usually cook it as a breakfast recipe and my family just loves it. So, let’s start cooking this simple, quick, and delicious Bread Upma recipe for our breakfast.
- 12 pieces of bread slices (डबल रोटी)
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds (जीरा)
- 2 pieces of chopped onion (कटा हुआ प्याज) - medium size
- 1 tablespoon chopped green chili (कटा हुआ हरी मिर्च)
- 2 tablespoon crushed ginger (कुचला हुआ अदरक)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (धनिया पाउडर)
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1 piece chopped tomato (कटा हुआ टमाटर) - medium size
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce (टमाटर का सालन)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 2 tablespoon oil (तेल)
- 2 pieces of boiled potatoes (उबले हुए आलू) - medium size
- 1/4 cup boiled peas (उबला हुआ मटर)
- fresh coriander leaves (ताजा धनिया पत्ती)
Preparation for Bread Pulao
- Cut the bread slices into medium-sized square cubes.
- If you are going to use potato and green peas in it, then boil them. Then peel the boiled potato and cut it into cubes.
How to Make Bread Upma
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan over medium flame.
- When the oil starts to smoke lightly, turn the flame to low and add cumin seeds in it. Let them crackle and pop.
- Now, turn the flame to medium again and add chopped onions and sauté them till light golden.
- To this add finely chopped green chili and fry it for a minute.
- Now, add crushed ginger in it and sauté for a minute, till its raw aroma goes away.
- Now add coriander powder and turmeric powder and fry for another minute or two. You can also use a little water (about 1 tablespoon) if the spices mix is drying at this stage.
- Then add all the other vegetables and fry for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then add chopped tomato and fry it for few minutes. Further, add tomato ketchup in it. Fry till the oil gets separated.
- Now add the sliced bread cubes and mix them properly.
- Serve it hot in a serving plate.
- Garnish with coriander leaves if you wish.