This recipe of Mughlai Biryani also called Biryani Badshahi. Biryani Badshahi is from the treasure trove of my snippets that I had collected over the years as paper clippings from various newspapers and magazines. Those were the years when for the first time I discovered my love and passion for cooking. With my baby steps into my mom’s kitchen trying with Cakes, Pulaos, and Biryanis.
The rich variation of spices and complexities has always intrigued me. I love to try them first before learning how to roll circular Rotis perfectly. More so, these are the dishes that give you ample opportunities to play with the flavors. No two biryanis are made the same even with the same set of ingredients.
To cook a good biryani needs patience. Good understanding of spices and the finer details of techniques involved in it. This is one such dish that cannot be prepared in a hurry. It takes time and patience. Both rice and meat need to blend gradually into each other, flavors need to intermingle. Meat should absorb the flavor of sweet-smelling basmati rice. Rice should have the fragrance of meat and spices. I don’t have many recipes up my sleeve, but only one that I have perfected over the years.
To start with, choose meat that is right for biryanis. If that means going to the butcher shop, then please go ahead. Ask specifically for biryani Boti. The boneless meat does not add up that much flavor as the meat with bones. Except for keema biryani. Because good quality meat is equally important as a good quality of basmati rice in the dish. Always go for long grain basmati rice, with good flavor that can hold its shape.
Here is how to cook royal Mughlai Biryani Badshahi.
Biryani Badshahi Recipe
for marinating mutton
- 750 grams mutton (बकरे का मांस)
- 2 tablespoon raw papaya (कच्चा पपीता)
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste (अदरक का पेस्ट)
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste (लहसुन का पेस्ट)
- 1.5 tablespoon lemon juice (नींबू का रस)
- 2 teaspoon red chili powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon salt (नमक)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1/2 tablespoon Kashmiri red chili powder (कश्मीरी लाल मिर्च पाउडर) optional
- 1/2 cup fried brown onion (तला हुआ भूरा प्याज)
- 1/2 cup curd (दही)
- 1 tablespoon chopped green chili (कटा हुआ हरी मिर्च) or as per your choice
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा काटा हुआ धनिया पत्ती)
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves (पुदीना पत्ता)
- 2 tablespoon clarified butter (घी)
For Making Fresh Biryani Masala
- 15 pieces green cardamom (छोटी इलायची)
- 1 teaspoon black cumin seeds (शाह जीरा)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (दालचीनी)
- 4-5 pieces cloves (लौंग)
for saffron water
- 1/2 tablespoon saffron (केसर)
- 1/4 cups water (पानी)
for soaking rice preparation
- 2.5 cup Sela rice or parboiled rice (सेला चावल)
- 3 cup water (पानी)
for preparation of rice for Mutton Biryani
- 2 liter water (पानी)
- 1/2 tablespoon clarified butter (घी)
- 1-2 pieces green chilies (हरी मिर्च)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (दालचीनी)
- 3-4 pieces green cardamom (छोटी इलायची)
- 1/2 teaspoon black cumin seeds (शाह जीरा)
- 2.5 teaspoon salt (नमक)
- 1/4 teaspoon kewra essence (केवड़ा का इत्र)
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा काटा हुआ धनिया पत्ती)
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh mint leaves (पुदीना पत्ता)
- 1-2 piece chopped green chili (कटा हुआ हरी मिर्च)
- 2 tablespoon fried brown onion (तला हुआ भूरा प्याज)
- 2 tablespoon clarified butter (घी)
Preparing fresh Biryani Masala
- Put 15 pieces green cardamom, 1 teaspoon black cumin seeds, 1-inch cinnamon stick and 4-5 pieces cloves in a blender jar and grind it into a coarse powder. Keep it aside for later use.
Preparing Saffron Water for Biryani
- Soak 1/2 tablespoon saffron in 1/4 cup water for half an hour.
Preparations of rice for making Mutton Biryani
- Soak 2.5 cups Sela rice in 3 cup water for 3 hours. If you are using basmati rice then you can soak it for 30-40 minutes.
How to marinate mutton
- To prepare this recipe, firstly, clean and wash the mutton pieces and keep it in a bowl. Make a paste of raw papaya and apply this raw papaya paste on mutton pieces evenly.
- Now add, 1 tablespoon ginger paste and 1 tablespoon garlic paste again rub it evenly on mutton pieces.
- Then add 1.5 tablespoon lemon juice again rub it evenly on mutton pieces.
- Now add 2 teaspoons red chili powder, half teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, and half tablespoon of Kashmiri red chili powder again rub well on mutton pieces.
- Add 1 tablespoon saffron water to it and again rub and mix well.
- Further, add 1/2 cup of fried brown onions and mix well. Now add 1/2 cup curd then again rub it on mutton pieces and mix well.
- Then add, 1 tablespoon chopped green chili, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves, 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves again rub and mix well.
- Now add freshly prepared biryani masala and 2 tablespoons clarified butter then give it a final mix and rub well on mutton pieces. Cover the pan and keep it for marinating for 2 hours.
- You have observed we have added individual ingredients then rubbed and mixed it on mutton pieces. This helps to soften the mutton pieces before cooking. The better the mutton pieces get soften the more evenly it will get cooked in mutton biryani.
How to cook Sella Rice for Biryani
- In a pan add 2-liter water and put over a high flame. Add half tablespoon clarified butter, 1-2 slit green chilies, inch cinnamon stick, 3-4 green cardamoms, half teaspoon black cumin seeds, and 2 and a half teaspoon salt into the water.
- Mix a little. Then add one-fourth teaspoon kewra essence into it. Kewra has a natural fragrance resembling basmati rice. Adding kewra essence in water improves the fragrance of rice further.
- When the water is near to boil add soaked rice into it and stir gently and cook it for around 4-5 minutes till the rice gets half done. We need only half-cooked rice as the rest of the cooking of rice will be done along with mutton in the biryani.
- To check, take out a grain of rice from water and press it between your thumb and index finger, the rice grain should break like raw rice on gentle pressure and should not be mushy.
- When the rice is half done drain the water from rice and spices.
How to Make Mutton Biryani
- To prepare mutton biryani, take a wide deep and heavy-bottomed pan and spread the marinated mutton pieces uniformly in it.
- Sprinkle some chopped fresh coriander leaves, some fresh mint leaves and chopped green chili over the marinated mutton pieces in the pan.
- Now Sprinkle half of the boiled rice over the mutton pieces. Then spread a layer of fried brown onions and then add the balance of rice over it.
- Now spread saffron water rice. Spread 2 tablespoons of clarified butter over rice. Put aluminum foil over it and close the lid tightly so that steam could not escape out. If you want you can also seal the edges of the pan with flour dough.
- Put the pan over medium-high flame for 7-10 minutes so that the steam gets developed in the pan. Then put the flame to medium-low and cook for 45 to 50 minutes. If you want you can also put some weight on the lid to further protect the steam from escaping out from the pan.
- Switch off the flame and dish out your aromatic mutton biryani on a plate and enjoy your royal Biryani Badshahi recipe.
- Serve hot with vegetable raita.