Bhindi Ki Sabji Without Onion Garlic
- 500 grams ladyfinger (भिन्डी)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (जीरा)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder (हींग पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (आमचूर पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (धनिया पाउडर)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder (गरम मसाला पाउडर)
- red chili powder to taste (लाल मिर्च पाउडर स्वाद अनुसार)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 2 tablespoon oil (तेल)
for preparation of Bhindi Fry without Onion and Garlic
- First of all wash the bhindi and pat it dry on a kitchen towel. Make sure the bhindi is completely dry or the bhindi will turn out slimy.
- Discard the base and stalk of ladyfinger then chop the bhindi into pieces. You can chop in any shape you like. The common options are simple round cylindrical of 1.5 centimeter length or sliced into 2 long pieces then cut into 1 inch size. We have chosen the cylindrical one.
How to make Bhindi without Onion and Garlic
- Heat a pan (karahi) on a high flame till so that it evaporates completely and no moisture content is left in the pan (you will see smoke coming out of the pan) now add the oil in the hot pan and let it heat properly.
- To check if oil is sufficiently hot add some cumin seeds and the cumin seeds should starts to crackle immediately.
Turn the flame to low and add rest of cumin seeds when the cumin seeds turn bit brown add the chopped bhindi. Mix the bhindi stirring it lightly. Now turn the flame to medium and cook for 4-5 mins without covering the pan and occasionally stirring it.
- Add turmeric powder, dry Mango Powder, Coriander Powder and red chili powder, garam masala Powder and a pinch of asafoetida powder. Mix well and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Now add Salt, and cook without covering the pan with any lid and let it cook for another 5 minutes on low flame stirring lightly with spoon.
- Turn off the stove and remove bhindi fry in a bowl.
- Serve hot with Paratha or Chapati.
- Moisture is an enemy of this recipe as ladyfinger becomes sticky in moisture thus we have taken special precautions to avoid moisture in this recipe.
- We have used kitchen towel or tissue paper to clean each ladyfinger to ensure no moisture if left over it.
- We have preheated the pan before start cooking so that any moisture left on pan gets removed.
- We didn't cooked the whole recipe covering the pan as covering pan with any lid will generate moisture in pan and ladyfinger may become sticky.
- We have added salt at the end again for the same reason.