Aloo Matar Paratha is a complete package. A perfect combination of protein and carbohydrate. The protein comes from green peas. Whole wheat flour and potato provides energy from carbohydrates. Peas are available round the season. Thus you can prepare this recipe round the year.
I also prepare Koraishutir Kochuri with green peas. This Kochuri is an Indian fried bread. Though Koraishutir Kochuri requires fresh sweet green peas, you can prepare Aloo Matar Paratha with frozen peas too. I add potato or Aloo to make this recipe light for the tummy. This potato also acts as a binding agent for the stuffing.
The addition of potato in this recipe also reduces the volume of peas in the paratha. As peas have a gas-producing tendency. Thus reducing peas volume also makes this an easy to digest recipe. The addition of carom seeds in dough further helps digestion.
So without losing any time, let us begin to prepare our Aloo Matar Paratha.
Aloo Matar Paratha
For preparing the stuffing
- 250 grams mashed boiled potato (मसला हुआ उबला आलू)
- 1 cup boiled peas (उबला हुआ मटर)
- 1 tablespoon chopped green chili (कटा हुआ हरी मिर्च)
- 1/4 tablespoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (धनिया पाउडर)
- 1 tablespoon roasted cumin seed's powder (भुना हुआ जीरा पाउडर)
- 2 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste (अदरक-लहसुन का पेस्ट)
- 1/2 tablespoon dry mango powder (आमचूर पाउडर)
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala powder (गरम मसाला पाउडर)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- 2-3 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा काटा हुआ धनिया पत्ती)
for preparing dough
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (गेहूं का आटा)
- 1/2 tablespoon carom seeds (अजवाइन)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
- water (पानी) – enough to bind the dough
- 1 tablespoon refined oil (रिफाइंड तेल)
How to prepare the stuffing for Aloo Matar Paratha
- Prior to making the parathas make a paste from green chili and green peas.
- To make the filling, heat 2 tsp of oil in a large non-stick pan. Add the Cumin Seed's Powder, Turmeric Powder, Coriander Powder, Ginger-Garlic Paste, Chopped Green Chili and Salt to taste.
- Add green pea paste to the spices. Keep the flame medium. Roast until it dries up.
- Mix Mashed Boiled potatoes, Mango Powder and garam masala powder. Sauté for a few minutes and add the rest of the ingredients. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Then add Chopped fresh Coriander Leaves to the stuffing, mix well.
Preparation of dough
- Combine the whole wheat flour, oil, carom seeds and salt in a deep bowl and knead it into a soft dough using enough water. Keep it aside for 20 Minutes.
How to Make Aloo Matar Paratha
- Now, divide the dough into 8 equal portions and make a lump from the dough.
- Roll out the lump into a 3 to 3.5-inch diameter; dusting it using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Place a portion of stuffing in the center of the circle.
- Bring together all the sides in the center and seal tightly.
- Roll again into a circle of 6 to 6.5-inch diameter circle and around ¼ centimeter thick; dusting it using a little whole wheat flour for rolling. (Never roll out the paratha’s too thin)
- Heat non-stick Tava (griddle) and cook the paratha, when there is a slight change in the color of paratha on the surface, flip the side. Turn the paratha and apply some oil and flip to apply oil on the other side as well. Press down the paratha a little and roast until it gets brown spots. When the paratha is roasted well, take it off from Tawa.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and stuffing to make rest parathas.
- Serve hot with any pickle.
You can serve this Green Peas Potato Paratha with any pickle or Chutney recipe. In winter I serve it with spicy gooseberry chutney or Amla Ki Chutney. In summer I serve it with tangy Green Chutney recipe. It also tastes delicious with Schezwan Chutney.