Afghani Chicken is a twist of classic Afghani Chicken Malai Tikka recipe. We prepare Aghani Malai Tikka from boneless chicken pieces. But for this recipe chicken with bones is required. Delicious chicken pieces in a creamy gravy and smoky aroma are just fabulous.
The only effort required to prepare this recipe is marination. This marination induces a deep flavor of spices in the recipe. The use of cashew, curd, and cream gives a creamy and rich gravy. Altogether it turns a perfect chicken recipe for your lavish dinner.
Tips for preparing Chicken Afghani Curry
To get a delicious Chicken Afghani you need to marinate the chicken very well. Before marinating the chicken do not forget to make small deep incisions in the chicken pieces. These deep cuts help inducing flavor of spices in the chicken till inside.
During marinating add fresh cream at the end. Because cream has a lot of fat in it if you add cream in marination it slowdowns the marination.
For preparing a rich and creamy gravy I have used cashew nuts. You can also use cashew nuts, almonds, or poppy seeds. Please soak these ingredients in water for at least 1 hour before grinding. If you are using almonds then remove the skin after soaking and before grinding.
The rest you need to fry the chicken pieces well. Prior to preparing gravy fry the chicken well so that it becomes dry.
Here comes the rich, creamy Afghani Chicken Recipe for your lavish dinner tonight.
Afghani Chicken Recipe
- 500 grams chicken (मुर्गे का माँस)
for the first marinade
- 2 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste (अदरक-लहसुन का पेस्ट)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (नींबू का रस)
- salt (नमक) or salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
for Second Marination
- 3 tablespoon hung thick curd (लटका गाढ़ा दही) of full cream milk
- 25 pieces cashew nut (काजू) soaked in water for 1 hour
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा काटा हुआ धनिया पत्ती)
- 2 to 3 green chilies (हरी मिर्च)
- 1 medium-size onion (प्याज)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder (गरम मसाला पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala powder (चाट मसाला पाउडर)
- 2 teaspoon dry fenugreek leaves (कसूरी मेथी)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper crushed (कुचल काली मिर्च)
- 3 tablespoon fresh cream (ताजा क्रीम)
for cooking Afghani Chicken
- 2 tablespoon clarified butter (घी)
- ½ cup water (पानी)
for smoky flavor
- 1 small piece of charcoal (लकड़ी का कोयला)
- 2 to 3 pieces cloves (लौंग)
- 1 teaspoon clarified butter (घी)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cream (ताजा क्रीम)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा काटा हुआ धनिया पत्ती)
- 1 small lemon wedge (नींबू का टुकड़ा)
How to make Afghani Chicken
- Make 3-4 deep small incisions in each chicken piece using a knife.
Steps for the first marination
- Combine 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste, half tablespoon salt, with the chicken pieces in a large bowl. Mix it well.
- Keep it aside for 10 minutes, till we do the preparation for the second marination.
Steps for the second marination
- For this combine 3 tablespoons of hung thick curd, 25 pieces soaked cashew nuts, 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh coriander leaves, 2 to 3 green chilies, 1 medium size onion cut into cubes, 1 teaspoon garam masala powder, 1 teaspoon chaat masala powder, 1 teaspoon roasted dry fenugreek leaves and 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper in a mixer jar.
- Grind the mixture into a smooth paste.
- Now combine this paste with the chicken that we have kept for marination.
- Mix it well. Cover it and transfer in the refrigerator for 2 hours for marination.
How to cook Afghani Chicken
- After 2 hours take out the chicken from the refrigerator, add 3 teaspoons of fresh cream. Again mix it well.
- Now heat 2-3 tablespoon desi ghee in a frying pan over a high flame.
- When the ghee melts and starts smoking lightly, transfer the marinated chicken pieces one by one in the frying pan for frying.
- Before transferring the chicken pieces into the frying pan, take them out of the marination bowl, shake it lightly so that the extra marination gets removed. Keep the extra marination paste that is residing in the bowl. We will use it for preparing our gravy.
- Once you have added all the chicken pieces, turn the heat to medium. Fry the chicken pieces covering and stirring occasionally, till all the pieces turn light golden from all the sides.
- Once all the pieces turn golden from all the sides, cook further till all the moisture gets evaporated. As we need dry chicken pieces at this stage.
- When the chicken pieces become completely dry, add the extra marination paste that is resting in the bowl. Cover and cook it for another 2-3 minutes on high flame.
- Now add half cup water in it and mix it well. Turn the flame to low, cover the pan and cook till the chicken is well done.
- Once the chicken gets tender switch off the flame. Now we will add a smoky flavor to it. For this follow the below steps.
for inducing smoky flavor
- For inducing smoky flavor in our Afghani Chicken, heat a small piece of charcoal on the open fire of gas stove.
- Once the charcoal turns red, transfer a small bowl in the center of the chicken pieces. And place the red hot charcoal in this small bowl.
- Add 2-3 cloves over the burning charcoal, and immediately add 1 teaspoon of clarified butter over the charcoal. You will see smoke coming out of the charcoal.
- Immediately cover the whole pan with a large lid and let chicken pieces absorb the smoky flavor. Keep it covered for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes open the lid and remove the small bowl in which we have placed the charcoal and cloves.
- Our aromatic, smoky, creamy, Afghani chicken is ready to serve.
- Add 1 tablespoon fresh cream and mix it well for the final touch. Serve hot sprinkling a teaspoon of finely chopped coriander leaves and decorating it with a lemon wedge.
- Serve hot with Chapati.