Achari Murgh is a piquant, spicy, and finger-licking South Indian cuisine. Chicken pieces floating in perfect pickled sauce with bright red and yellow in gravy. A perfect blend of red chilies with tangy lemon juice and Indian spices, turn this recipe delicious.
As we are very well aware that the recipes from south India are usually spicy. Thus this pickled chicken is very popular there. In this recipe of Achari Chicken, I have tried to manage the taste to make it cosmopolitan.
Also, check these recipes of chicken, if you are a chicken lover.
Achari Chicken is a quick and easy recipe, that you can cook with boneless chicken pieces. As well as you can also use chicken with bones. This recipe requires small pieces of chicken. Chicken pieces of around 1-2 inch size, go very well in this recipe.
You just need to perfectly marinate the chicken pieces. If the chicken pieces are from 1 to 1.25 kilograms of whole chicken then 1-hour marination is sufficient. If you are using pieces from the larger chicken 2-3 hours marination is just okay.
No other special trick, just start cooking this delicious pickled chicken recipe. It also is popularly known as Achari Chicken in north India and Achari Murgh in Hyderabad.
Achari Murgh Recipe
- 1/2 kilogram chicken (मुर्गे का माँस)
Masala for Pickled Chicken
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (जीरा)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds (साबुत धनिया)
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (मेथी दाना)
- 1/4 teaspoon nigella seeds (कलौंजी)
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds (सौंफ)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds (सरसों)
- 2-3 pieces red chilies (लाल मिर्च) or as per your taste
For marinating the chicken
- 1/2 cup whisked curd (फेटा हुआ दही)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon salt (नमक)
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste (अदरक-लहसुन का पेस्ट)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (नींबू का रस)
for gravy of Achari Chicken
- 1 pieces onion (प्याज) small size grinned
- 1 pieces tomato (टमाटर) grinned
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste (अदरक-लहसुन का पेस्ट)
- 2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder (कश्मीरी लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 1/2 tablespoon red chili powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर) or as per taste
- 10 pieces chopped garlic cloves (कटा हुआ लहसुन का लौंग)
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice (नींबू का रस) or as per taste
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil (सरसों का तेल)
- salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
to make a tempering for Pickled Chicken
- 3 tablespoon mustard oil (सरसों का तेल)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (जीरा)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds (सरसों)
- 2 pieces red
- curry leaves (करी पत्ते) a few
- chopped fresh coriander leaves (ताजा काटा हुआ धनिया पत्ती) or dry fenugreek leaves (कसूरी मेथी)
How to Make Achari Murgh
- To prepare Achari Chicken we firstly prepare pickled masala to marinate the chicken.
How to prepare Pickled Chicken masala
- For preparing Achari masala we heat a frying pan over medium flame.
- When the frying pan turns hot add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds, 1/4 teaspoon nigella, 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds.
- Then to it add whole dry red chilies. Before adding the dry red chilies in the pan remove its stalk and break them into half.
- Dry roast them for a minute, then turn off the flame and let the masala cool down in the pan.
- When the roasted masala is cool enough then put them in the grinder jar and grind them into a coarse powder.
- Now we will add this masala for marinating the chicken.
Marinating the chicken
- Take a large mixing bowl and add the clean and washed pieces of chicken in it.
- To it add 1/2 cup whisked curd, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and the coarsely grounded pickled masala, that we have just prepared.
- Mix them very well and keep it covered for an hour. For better results, you can keep it for 2-3 hours.
How to cook Achari Chicken
- Before proceeding to cook our pickled chicken we will prepare our onion and tomato paste.
- To prepare onion paste cut the onion and tomato into large pieces.
- Then firstly add the onion pieces in the grinder jar to prepare a smooth paste. Remove the onion paste from the grinder jar in a bowl.
- Now add the tomato pieces in the same grinder jar and do grind it into a smooth paste.
- To prepare the gravy firstly add 1 tablespoon of mustard oil in a heavy-bottomed wok and heat it over medium flame.
- When the oil starts to smoke add the onion paste. Turn the flame to high and saute it, till its color changes.
- Now we will add 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste in it and will fry it, till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
- Fry till the mixture turns light golden and you find oil starts separating.
- Then to it, we will add 2 teaspoons of Kashmiri red chili powder and 1/2 tablespoon red chili powder. Achari Chicken is always spicy but you can also adjust the quantity of red chili as per your taste.
- Mix and fry it for a minute, if you find the mixture turning dry then add a tablespoon of water to prevent spices from burning.
- Now we will add our marinated chicken pieces in it and will fry it for 3 minutes stirring constantly.
- After frying it for 2 to minutes we will turn the flame to low and add 1/2 cup of water in it. Then give it a good mix and cook it for 2 to 3 minutes on low flame.
- After cooking it for 2-3 minutes, turn the flame to medium, then cover the lid, and again cook the chicken for 5-10 till the chicken pieces are half cooked. Occasionally you can open the cover and give it a stir. The cooking time depends totally on the quality of chicken and the size of the pieces you are using.
- When the chicken gets half cooked add the chopped garlic pieces and lemon juice in it. Give it a good mix and turn the flame to high. Cook it stirring occasionally till the gravy slightly thickens.
- Check for taste. Adjust salt and spices, remember we have added the salt in our marination too. Then cover it and cook for another 5 minutes on high flame or till the chicken gets cooked well.
Preparing Tampering for Pickled Chicken
- To prepare the tempering heat 3 tablespoons of mustard oil in a frying pan over medium flame. When the oil starts smoking turn the flame to low.
- Now add 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds in the oil. Also, add 2 pieces of whole red chilies in the oil after removing the stalk and breaking them into half.
- Let the cumin seeds and mustard seeds splutter in the oil, then add few curry leaves and roast it for a minute.
- Immediately transfer this mixture in the chicken getting cooked over another stove. Cover the lid and close the flame. Keep it covered for around 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes open the cover and give it a good mix. Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves or roasted Kasturi methi.
- Serve it hot with Nan or Chapati.