7 Cup Burfi Recipe
- ½ cup gram flour (बेसन)
- ½ cup grated fresh coconut (कद्दूकस करा हुआ ताजा नारियल)
- ½ cup clarified butter (घी)
- ½ cup full cream milk (पूर्ण वसा वाला दूध)
- 1¼ cup sugar (चीनी)
- ¼ teaspoon green cardamom powder (छोटी इलायची पाउडर)
- cashew nut (काजू) a few
- Take all the ingredients and keep them ready - 1/2 cup gram flour, 1/2 cup grated coconut, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup ghee, and 1.25 cups sugar. You can also use 1 cup or more of sugar as per your taste.
- Grease a tray or pan with some ghee.
- Heat a heavy iron pan or nonstick pan over a low flame and add 1/2 cup gram flour or gram flour.
- Stir frequently to fry gram flour for 3 to 4 minutes or until you get a nice aroma out of it.
- Do not brown the gram flour.
- As soon as you feel the aroma, start to fry gram flour while stirring continuously.
- Now add 1/2 cup fresh coconut, 1/2 cup ghee, and 1/2 cup milk in it.
- Mix them very well. Do not worry if you see gram flour lumps in the pan.
- Then add 1.25 cups sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder.
- Mix again very well and stir so that the sugar dissolves. The mixture will also turn into liquid.
- Stir and continue to cook on low heat.
- The mixture will start to thicken and reduce.
- Continue to cook and stir until the mixture starts leaving the sides of the pan. While stirring, also scrape down the pan and from sides.
- If you do not scrape this mixture, it will start sticking and will turn brown and will get burnt. So you have to continue stirring and scratching. Use flat steel spatula (reflex) as this helps to scratch the gram flour mixture.
- Even though the mixture leaves the edges of the pan, continue to cook until the ghee is released from the sides. When the burfi mixture resembles a molten mass with some bubbles and ghee coming out of the sides; turn off the heat. If you cook more, the burfi will become hard and chewy.
- Immediately pour the entire burfi mixture into the greased tray or pan.
- With a spatula or spoon, even and smoothen the top.
- Allow the burfi to cool down at room temperature.
- Then cut with a sharp knife 7 cups of burfi into diamond or square shape as per your personal choice.
- Decorate pushing a piece of cashew nut on top of every burfi.
- Store them in an air-tight box. You can keep the burfi at room temperature or refrigerate it for a couple of days.
- Eat 7 cups of burfi as a dessert or serve it to guests.